Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant disconnections

FIXED
richardt
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Constant disconnections

Ok so it happened at 18:54 - speedScreenshot 2024-04-29 at 18.56.56.pngScreenshot 2024-04-29 at 18.56.40.png

richardt
Grafter

sorry, i was a little hasty in send that last post.  it happened again at 18:54, the speed test failed to connect and there's nothing in the logs.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

OK. Looks like you have a lot of wireless devices connecting/disconnecting, which swamps the log. Are you sure you have a Hub2 - if so, when you are on the page in the screenshot below, click the 'Export' tab and attach it to a post - it won't paste into the reply.

John
jab1
Legend

Sorry - forgot to add the image! Embarrassed

4.Hub2 eventlog.png

John
richardt
Grafter

it's definitely a Hub 2 it says on the back.  Log attached - I did a factory reset of the router at 19:11 as suggested by tech support.

jab1
Legend

Sorry, your screenshot in post #16 was a little confusing as you had chopped the top, but no worries, you have posted what I needed now.

I can't see many xDSL drops, but your Wi-Fi connected devices seem to be dropping in and out a lot - how many have you got, and are they moving around the house a lot?

John
richardt
Grafter

I have:

2x iPhone
1x iPad
2x TV’s
1x Xbox
2xlaptop
1x wireless repeater
1x tumble dryer

richardt
Grafter

Not all devices are in use but many on standby.
richardt
Grafter

Oh, forgot iMac and sonosx2
jab1
Legend

The perils of the connected world!😀 It  is getting a little late for my ageing brain, so if you don't mind, I'll come back to this early tomorrow morning, read the full topic, and then see if I can find any more clues in that log.

If you lose connection again, note the times and post them, please.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

Having a quick look at the log I would say the broadband connection is stable this being the last DSL link down

04:35:01, 18 Mar. DSL Link Down: duration was 7775081 seconds which would be the cause of the light on the Hub Two light flashing orange.

There are many wireless devices dropping connection which would suggest a wireless issues, maybe the wireless extender.

I would start by downloading a WiFi analyser app to a mobile device and check to see if you can change the channels used to something less busy (many SSID). For 2.4GHz Hub Two only allows the use of 1, 6 and 11, for 5GHz 36, 40, 44 and 48

HTH

richardt
Grafter

Thanks - I'll download one and give it a go. 

richardt
Grafter

Ok so I've found some time to do some testing as the problem is still present.

I'm not an expert in this so forgive my basic approach or misuse of terminology! I'm using the Google speedtest to check for connectivity - again I'm not sure if this is the best approach but in my mind it seemed sensible.

Switched Wifi extenders off - problem still present

Unplugged all power over ethernet plugs - problem still present

Turned WiFi off on the router, plugged ethernet cable into router and into laptop, laptop is in airplane mode - ran multiple speed tests over half an hour and initially it was looking good, not a single drop out or web page failing to load. 

Enabled wifi on router which is broadcasting using channel 1 and 36 (I let the router decide this) laptop still in airplane mode and still connected to router by ethernet cable - ran multiple speed within a space of 20 mins and only had one instance of no speed result which I put down to a one off.

Got myself an Android phone (Samsung S20) and an iPhone (15 Pro Max) I checked IP addresses to ensure they weren't conflicting, both phones were next to me and with mobile data turned off.

Android never had any problem running a speed test and browsed web fine.

iPhone: well this is where it gets interesting.  After a lot of successful tests the iPhone informed me that the wifi network had no connection to the internet, which was odd as the Android phone was browsing the web fine next to it.  It then took an age to load up the BBC home page.  Android phone loaded the same page no problem at the same time, the iPhone eventually loaded the page but a lot slower and the progress bar never really completed.

I thought I was getting somewhere however, disaster, Android phone failed to load the BBC home page as did the iPhone and even the wired laptop with no wifi connection.

One more test - Android loaded The Verge home page, as did the wired laptop, iPhone failed to load intially then sprang into life and loaded the page, again the progress bar never really completed.

I was sat next to the router the whole time and the light was permanently blue.  I'm not sure what else I can test internally, as its even happening to a hardwired laptop.

I'm lost now!

richardt
Grafter

Ok, so a bit of an update, I have a couple of tabs open on the ethernet connected laptop.

BBC home page took an age to load and not all images loaded.

The Verge website loaded instantly, completed the load and the BBC page never completed loading.

Forgot to say the laptop is a dell XPS i7 16gb so its pretty competent.

jab1
Legend

@richardt From your latest testing, the issue seems to me to be more equipment related than connectivity, but I'll let @Dan_the_Van  comment before I say more - he might spot something that I'm missing.

John