cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router keeps disconnecting

Greenwalker
Dabbler

Re: Router keeps disconnecting

I did a factory reset earlier (cannot recall exact time) which I carried out when the light was blue. My 'power' reset at 7.27 was because I again had the continuous orange. (That is, using the on/off button).

Is that OK?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Thanks.

The fact that the router was showing Orange without any entry in the log to indicate why, is strange ?

From the log it looks like the factory reset was at around 06:12.

The router initially connected as the 'setup' user, contacted the TR069 servers and downloaded the account configuration, then restarted at around 06:15. It then reconnected fine and then it looks like an Honor 10 phone connected wirelessly at 06:45. There's then nothing in the log until 07:00 when there's three DoS logs, then nothing until after the power reset at 07:27.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Greenwalker
Dabbler

How odd. As I will be around most of the day, I will monitor it carefully, and update if anything happens.

Thanks again.

Jan

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

When the router next shows solid Orange, can you check to see if you can still access the router gui, check the broadband status page and save the event log

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Greenwalker
Dabbler

The Router showed solid Orange around 16.12 hrs.

The router gui page showed the Broadband box in orange, status 'disconnected', and I attach the event log, before I rebooted. Would you like another now?

Thanks

Jan

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Yes please, @Greenwalker 

John
Greenwalker
Dabbler

jab1
Legend

@Greenwalker Looking at that, I'm now totally confused, so I think I'll leave it to @Dan_the_Van  / @MisterW  - there is an error somewhere, but I have to say I don't know where it is. Sorry. Sad

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think @Dan_the_Van s earlier suggestion of a port fault seems likely.

The first log shows the router saw a PPP drop but no DSL drop. It then restarted the PPP and was continuously sending PADI requests (to find the concentrator) and getting no PADO reply.

The router restart will have dropped the DSL link which seems to have kicked the DSLAM into resetting the port and so once the router sends PADI again, it gets an almost instant reply and the PPP re-establishes.

@Greenwalker I think you're going to have to report a fault and get Plusnet to get Openreach to investigate the PPP drops and subsequent failure to restart.

Greenwalker
Dabbler

Many thanks - I wish I understood all that!

I will report the fault tomorrow, thank you for all your help.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Greenwalker 

When speaking to plusnet tomorrow  I suggest you mention you have sought advice from the forum and the conclusion is

"The logs shows the router saw a PPP drop but no DSL drop. It then restarted the PPP and was continuously sending PADI requests (to find the concentrator) and getting no PADO reply.

The router restart will have dropped the DSL link which seems to have kicked the DSLAM into resetting the port and so once the router sends PADI again, it gets an almost instant reply and the PPP re-establishes."

It is important they understand this is NOT a DSL failure so those tests are likely be error free.

It's the PPP disconnects that needs investigating.

Also mention you have reset the Hub back to factory settings and the issue is still occurring.

Hopefully someone on the help desk can read this thread.

HTH

Dan.

jab1
Legend

@Dan_the_Van Unless the system has changed recently, I don't think first-line support have visibility of the forum?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Correct, unless they happen to have personal usernames,which is unlikely

Greenwalker
Dabbler

Would like to thank @Dan_the_Van , @MisterW  and @jab1  for helping me resolve the issue.

I had a visit from an engineer this afternoon, who replaced a junction box(?) and removed unnecessary extensions, so all is now well.

Thank you.