Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower broadband speeds

FIXED
PabloBruno
Grafter

Slower broadband speeds

Hi,

I usually get around 55 Mbps, but today I am only getting around 40 Mpbs. I am aware that this is still above the guaranteed 38 Mbps Plusnet promise me - however, it would be nice to know if this was a temporary glitch or something more permanent.

Kind regards.

38 REPLIES 38
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Slower broadband speeds

@PabloBruno You keep asking this, or variations on it, every so often - people attempt to help you, but you seem reluctant to follow the advice/help offered. Assuming you are on FTTC, can you please reply to the below, and maybe some of us could advise?

For Community members to be able to help, information from these sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband Availability Checker (obscuring your phone number), where a landline phone is no longer supplied or known use the address version BT Broadband Address Availability (obscuring your address)

BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS'. This test is recommended to be performed with only one device connected.

Sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would also be of help.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

Where the phone line is still active, it may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

I think I have always accepted their advice as I am desperate for a long-term, stable connection. Here are all the screenshots you requested.

I have no phone and never use the landline so cannot carry out the other tests.pn7.JPGpn6.JPGpn5.JPGpn4.JPGpn1.JPGpn3.JPGpn2.JPG

jab1
Legend

Thanks for this.It appears from that information that you are/have been suffering from xDSL drops, which will account for the reduced speeds experienced. I also note your downstream SNR is very low. How far are you from your VDSL cabinet?

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

I'm afraid to say that I have no idea where the Crouch End VDSL cabinet 10 is.

jab1
Legend

Do you know where your nearest cab is? - that is usually the one you are connected to.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

As I say, no idea I'm afraid.

jab1
Legend

Do you not notice them when out and about - they are big and green?

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

I would look here

Screenshot 2024-03-27 191838.png

HTH

PabloBruno
Grafter

No. I have lived here 5 years and have not seen one. Hence, that is why I said I did not know where it is.

If it is Lightfoot Road, then that is half a mile away and a ten minute long walk to an area I usually don't go to.

PabloBruno
Grafter

Should I keep on here to find out my next steps - or with that information, should I speak to Plusnet and get an engineer to investigate?

jab1
Legend

@PabloBruno wrote:

No. I have lived here 5 years and have not seen one. Hence, that is why I said I did not know where it is.

If it is Lightfoot Road, then that is half a mile away and a ten minute long walk to an area I usually don't go to.

That distance sounds about right for the data in the BTw report earlier.

My suggestion is:

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

IIf the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

The above assumes you still have 'normal' landline connection - if you have a SOGEA (internet only) one, just use the second link to report a network issue.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

I did as requested. The came back (text), saying that, "the line from the network to your home appears to be performing well."

They asked me to text back 'REFRESH', which I did, but I was a then told, "we haven't been able to refresh your connection." So, I followed their instructions of turning my hob off/on and waiting 5 mins.

I just did another speed test and it's back up to 48-51 Mbps.

My concern is that, as has been noted, this keeps happening. Please let me know how I get this investigated further.

Many (continued) thanks.

jab1
Legend

Bearing in mind that this is more than likely a fault in the Openreach network, it would be interesting to see a Visual Radius graph. At one time, Help Team members would oblige with one of these, plus the results of a line test, but since PN have become merely a 'brand' of the BT Consumer Division, getting such helpful data is a massive struggle - to put it politely.

I suggest you wait until tomorrow, and I'll see if I can catch the eye of a Help Team staffer - but don't hold your breath, they now have to work to GPO Telephones - sorry BT Group - rules.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

I really appreciate you going above and beyond. I will wait patiently for any feedback/advice.

Fwiw, my take-away from my long list of BT faults is that I find it astonishing that two companies (one owned by the other) have such limited lines of comms in the 21st Century... and both being teleCOMS companies.