Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed - FTTC

RRM
Rising Star

Slow Speed - FTTC

Hi all,

Been experiencing problems with my connection for about 6 weeks, didn't think anything of it as everything was working reasonably and have always had a consistent 27Mb download 4.5 - 5Mb up. However I started to notice that Teams calls (I work from home quite a lot now) where breaking up or I would get a pause and it would come back. So started doing some testing.

I noticed my line speed on Openreach speed test website is showing now a fairly consistent 13 -14Mb down and 4.7Mb up, no where near what I am used to and would explain the issues I experienced - tested when no one else is home, via Ethernet cable to same laptop each time. Also confirmed, network speeds are showing over 100Mb/s when doing file transfers from my NAS box to the laptop and back, so eliminating local cabling issue.

Reported to PN about 2 weeks ago, they arrange for engineer as they could see the same issue at time of testing.

I will admit, I have a few networking devices connected, however it is still a flat network and all switches in the network are 1Gb minimum and I have CAT5e wiring all around the house from my 24 port Aruba Switch, even so, last night after openreach tested my line and could not fault it, I removed all networking from the router (I have a Draytek 2862ac router) and connected a different laptop to the Ethernet directly, got even worse results!

Plusnet called yesterday approx 5pm and said everything was OK??????? there tests now suggest my line is within normal range, i.e. >16.1Mb I think it was. I have only ever had that speed before when there was a line fault, which was sorted by "changing the pair to the house".  My testing still suggests it's not, still only getting around 13Mb/s Down.

PN are sending me a router to test, but I am pretty sure it is not going to solve the issue.

Here are the results of the latest test I did

Screenshot 2022-04-06 123001.png

Any help / Input appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
RRM
Rising Star

Re: Slow Speed - FTTC

interesting, even though I just posted to my PN ticket, with the image of the slow speed, got a message back saying to test with new router once it arrives, but PN consider the issue resolved?

Surely the issue is not resolved until the test equipment is installed and shows functionality?

There's something not right here!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Yup, @RRM PN's automated system. 😀

John
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

Interesting problem. I started to WFH just before the first lockdown but never had any issues with MS Teams even when everyone turned on their cameras. Others on the meeting said my video was a bit odd, this was probably due to my super duper FTTC connection (7-8 Mbps down and 0.4-0.5Mbps up). The speed was so great I had to turn off OneDrive otherwise the system ground to a halt.

I retired last week so I removed all the company supplied WFH gear and my download speed has improved to a spiffing 9Mbps.

RRM
Rising Star

Hi,

During lockdown I had four of us at home, two on Teams, one on Google classroom and one on whatever the university used, no issues. Speed test back then always showed 23-27Mb down and 4.5-5mb up.
Now I’m on my own, but noticed speed can range from a super fast 4mb down and 0mb up to 14mb down and 4.7mb up. But generally been getting 13.8mb and 4.7mb. Which is 50% drop on download speeds for my connection.
R