cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best/least risk way of moving plusnet landline number to VOIP

rhydsnewi
Grafter

I currently have an FTTC service with landline from Plusnet and I'd like to move the landline number to a VOIP provider when I upgrade to FTTP, problem is its not quite clear the best way to go about this.

From what I understand, if I port the landline number to voipfone/Andrews and Arnold or whoever that will cancel my current contract and drop my FTTC service, however I'm worried that if I try and port the number after the FTTP service goes live I may lose the landline number.

Can anyone confirm what the best way to proceed is? Unfortunately using alternative connectivity (4/5G) to bridge any service gaps isn't really feasible due to poor local coverage 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best/least risk way of moving plusnet landline number to VOIP

@rhydsnewi wrote:

The LEAST RISK route, would be to simultaneously migrate your FTTC and landline to A&A FTTP and VoIP.

A&A's internal procedures for taking each step at a time, and confirming each stage of a complex migration, are excellent.

However, if you want to remain with Plusnet for FTTP, then I'll let other forum experts guide you on the "cross your fingers and hope for the best" method deduced from previous successes and failures reported here.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

You could do what I'm in the process of doing for migrating from ADSL to FTTC/SOGEA (and BT phone to A&A VOIP). Just order a new line as a new customer then manage the migration/cancellation of the old services once it's up and running.

Main problem/cost will be installation and cancellation charges.

I'm out of contract on all my services so the only real "hit" was the £50 to install the second line. The bonus was that I could get it in a different location - the old master socket was in an inconvenient place dictated by Post Office Telephones wiring from the 1960s in a house that's been extended several times over the last 50+ years!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@rhydsnewi 

Do you use PN email?

If you do then A&A seem to know what they're doing with porting numbers from PN (from other posts in this forum).

If you upgrade to FTTP you would set up your A&A account in advance and check your phone(s) work. Then, when FTTP is installed and up and running, you initiate the port to A&A. It may fail in the first instance due to their systems not liking "ceased" numbers but you simply get A&A Support to phone and arrange a manual port. There will be some downtime on the phone.

Otherwise you could set up a new PN account (without email) for FTTP and them when that's up and running port your number to A&A. However, as this cancels your opriginal account there may be early termination charges to pay.

Brian

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm no expert so just trying to clarify for the OP and myself

I'm on FTTC and have a plusnet phone package and want to retain my number once the phone system is changed. FTTP isn't available here but even if it were, My plan was that when my contract is up I would get PN to move me to BT so I could take advantage of digital voice. Doesn't that keep it simplest?

Most recommendations are to bundle the phone and broadband with A&A or keep the broadband with PN and move the phone to A&A once the number is disconnected. However, intuitively that seems more complicated.

Am I missing something obvious?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@the_groundsman  the deciding factor for you might be the cost of FTTC with A&A.

The original question in this topic was "least risk" landline to VoIP transition when upgrading to FTTP.

Moving landline+broadband to A&A FTTP+VoIP is quite good value at around £38.44 per month,

whereas you are considering A&A FTTC+VoIP that is quite expensive at £46.44 per month (about £20/month more than Plusnet SoGEA).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@the_groundsman wrote:

... when my contract is up I would get PN to move me to BT so I could take advantage of digital voice. Doesn't that keep it simplest?

Several things there -

1)  I'm not sure that Plusnet support would move you, I suspect they will just transfer your call to BT for you to sort it out.

2)  Personally I would much prefer to have a real VoIP service, than "Digital Voice".  Digital Voice is a locked down product for which you HAVE to use the ISPs equipment, it is limited on features, and calls are often charged at expensive rates (unless part of a monthly 'free minutes' bundle).  Real third party VoIP gives you so much more flexibility and should be MUCH cheaper.

3) If you were still considering moving to BT for combined SoGEA broadband and "Digital Voice",  then in my opinion Zen is a better alternative to provide that.

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks for the insights
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@the_groundsman 

It comes down to cost versus ease of transfer.

I believe BT are more expensive than PN + A&A VOIP.

Brian