cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller has been blocked on my landline

Dennev43

Caller has been blocked on my landline

A friend is unable to contact us on our landline from her landline. Plusnet and openreach have checked my line and found no faults. Our friend has been onto her supplier “NOW” and been told that we have blocked her number.

We have no caller banned on our phone (I deleted the lot just in case) and we have no call barring set up with Plusnet.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or has any idea what might be causing it and suggestions on how to clear it please. 

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 404

Re: Caller has been blocked on my landline

I assume you haven't changed suupliers recently , otherwise you wouldn't have a phone  service.

Has your friend changed to Now recently ?

Has anyone been able to phone you from Now ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dennev43

We moved from Vodafone about 8 months ago and have no problems with our phone service from our home.

She has recently moved to NOW from Virgin I think but I have no idea if anyone else is with NOW. 
She has no problems with any other of her contacts. 
We can call her landline with no problems. 
It all seems very odd. 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ultimately it's a call routing problem. Your number will have moved from the Vodafone network to the Openreach network.

I'm assuming you can receive calls from other phones ok ?

So it would seem that Now are not routing a call to your number to the Openreach network.

I'm afraid getting it sorted is going to be difficult. it will need Now to talk to the Openreach number porting team  to check their call routing. Your friend should contact Now and inform them that calls to your number are not being routed correctly. They will probably try and fob them off, but they need to persist and complain if necessary.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

We’ve seen no end of issues reported about call routing associated with Now / Sky with ported numbers.

The issue could be with your port from Vodafone, so it’s worth asking Plusnet to double check your inbound port with the porting resolution team.

Dennev43

Thanks for your suggestion, hadn’t thought of that but it makes sense, I’ll pass it on.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Dennev43 which telco originally allocated your number ? and have you ever been with Now or Sky in the past ?

Dennev43

We have had the same number since 1976 and yes we were with Sky and then there was a problem when we moved to Vodafone, fortunately Plusnet recovered our number for us. As far as we are aware no one else is experience the problem
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and yes we were with Sky

Ah! @Dennev43  My guess (and its just a guess!) is that for some reason Sky think that your number is still on their network. So when anyone on that network, which includes Now, tries to call your number Sky don't route the call outside their network, but of course the number isn't there so the caller gets 'number unobtainable'.

and then there was a problem when we moved to Vodafone, fortunately Plusnet recovered our number for us.

Does that mean the Vodafone port failed ? and you never actually got ported to them ?

In which case it sounds like that may have been the cause, and if no-one else on the Sky network has ever tried to call you since, then you'd never know. If you know anyone else who might be with Sky (or Now) for a landline, then it would be useful to get them to try calling you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@MisterW 

That is precisely the issue we have seen before...

• A user ports their number away from Sky
  • All looks OK to the majority of network users
  • Users with Sky / Now then find that they cannot call that number

See https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Family-with-sky-and-now-can-t-ring-my-number/m-p/1909144#M3... - in spite of the OP's assertions, this was fixed through engagement at the top of BT Consumer Division ... to ensure that recourse was made to the BT Porting Forum.

Given that your number was at some previous time with Sky and has since been ported to Plusnet, the issue needs to be pipe cleaned by Plusnet with Sky via the number porting forum.  Raise a call with Plusnet support, reference this topic.  If that fails, comeback here and I'll poke this in the right direction through the SU high-level escalation channel.

@NickBS - tag FYI.

Dennev43

Thanks for the info and the link, all very interesting. I'll follow everyone's suggestions and hopefully get this problem sorted.🤞