cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I switch from BT to Plusnet can I still make landline calls?

FIXED
Dimmy

If I switch from BT to Plusnet can I still make landline calls?

Hi..I'm with BT at present for broadband 67 mbps speed and 11 hours landline usage per month and my new price will be £49 per month. On the plusnet site it says the same speed broadband for £24.99 per month but says I can't have a landline as they are being phased out. BT have already disconnected my old analogue phone line. BT sent me a new router and I bought a new BT digital voice land line phone that connects wirelessly to the new Bt router so all my landline calls now go over the Internet which is great although I think it's a bit cheeky of BT to still charge me £12 a month for landline calls when in fact it should all be included in the broadband fee. My question is this ..IF I switch to plusnet, which is a broadband supplier only, can I still connect my new BT digital voice phone to the new plusnet router and therefore make landline calls over the Internet as I do now?.I'm dubious because I phoned plusnet about this and the guy wasn't sure and had to ask his supervisor and he said it "should" work.Plus the fact whereas bt still charge for a landline package on digital plusnet make no mention of this. I'm worried that I'll switch from BT to Plusnet and my new BT phone won't be compatible with the new plusnet router and I won't be able to make landline calls. .if I can great I'll be saving about £25 a month..any advice would be appreciated ..thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Re: IF I SWITCH FROM BT TO PLUSNET CAN I STILL MAKE LANDLINE CALLS?

and he said it "should" work.

He was wrong! Your phone won't work, Plusnet are not proving a digital phone service, it's broadband only. You r BT digital phone will only work with a BT service

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

In a few words, @Dimmy - no you can't use the phone on the PN service as you do on BT. Plusnet do not offer a 'Digital Voice service at all, and the BT DV service only works if you are connected to BT Broadband.

If you wish to move to PN, you will need to set up a VoIP service with another provider.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Fix

@Dimmy 

I believe the answer is no. BT Digital Voice is only for BT customers. Your £12 charge could be a phone package regarding calls.

If you move, it's probable BT will ask for their equipment back. The PN Hub2 doesn't support phones.

To move you'd need to transfer your number (if it matters) to a VOIP provider within 30 days of the move and perhaps get new phones. There are many independent VOIP providers out there but A&A seem to know what they're doing.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

Dimmy

Yes I agree..it's always a concern when a customer service advisor doesn't know the answer in any organisation and they have to ask their supervisor. .so plusnet gave me the wrong answer. .if I was to go with plusnet and have to take out another contract for my calls I wouldn't save much money..Hyperoptic and Community fibre hsve installations in my building and I'm certain they said I could have broadband AND calls in one package ..community fibre even said one years free broad and! @. Thanks for your help.
Dimmy

Many thanks...I thought as much!
Dimmy

Many thanks!