Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No phone or internet for 7 weeks

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: No phone or internet for 7 weeks

Really not sure what the issue is with getting the call divert removed. This has been attempted since the line was allegedly fixed almost a week ago now. My Dad keeps getting promised "we'll approach Openreach and it will be removed in the next 30 minutes". Nope. Days and lots of 30 minutes later, it still isn't happening 😡

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this @Marksfish 

It looks like we got Openreach to put on the divert manually which means it isn't possible to remove it in the usual way that we normally do this.

As a result our Customer Assist Team are chasing Openreach to get this removed for your father and we should have a further update today

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Call divert still active. 2 identical replies to the ticket on Thursday and Friday. This is another level of incompetence from Openreach.

Mark

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

After getting close to 4 months with no service, it looks like thigs may be coming to an end. The call divert has finally been removed and the line seems to be working. Someone from the Advocates team has been in touch today and has advised they will call him every day for the next week to ensure continuity of service. Compensation has been discussed, a tidy sum, but I have no doubt it will only be offered in account credit. I am presuming if he decided to leave Plusnet, any of that credit would be refunded to him as a cash sum?

Shocking service from Openreach. Not the best support from Plusnet for Dad's predicament, although the forum replies/ updates have been appreciated.

Fingers crossed the next 7 days is fault free!

Mark

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

So far so good. Line and broadband are still up. Dad is now waiting for the compo to be finalised, then this whole sorry sage can be put to bed. Even made the online version of the Guardian 😉

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

I did wonder if this story:  https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/mar/04/failure-to-connect-how-openreach-left-a-home-without-a... was you when I read it earlier.  Interesting to see that there were other, similar, cases reported too, which suggests the problem with Openreach may be endemic. 

That matches the view I've been forming, a village not far from us was cut off for around 6 weeks due to the long delay in getting Openreach to fix a line fault.  The local media at the time were given the same pat response as in that article, it was reported that the villagers had been given 4G/5G hubs to enable connectivity.  In the case of this village these were hopeless, as like us there is no mobile coverage there at all!  None of the hubs supplied ever worked, AFAIK.

You would think that someone within Openreach would have known this, especially as one of the villagers, who asked Openreach if the van parked in the lane was fixing the line, was told that Openreach didn't know and were unable to contact that van crew as there was no mobile signal . . .

There seems to be an almost universal view that 4G/5G is the answer to everyone's communication needs.  My experience of the past decade or so is that it's pretty damned useless.  I'm sure those living in cities feel it's fine.  Perhaps some of those city-dwelling policy makers should come and live and work here for a few weeks.  I'm certain their view of the infallibility of 4G/5G for either phone or broadband would very soon change.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

That was our 5 minutes of fame, yes 😁

Not so good points, the dial tone has disappeared again today and the promised call back didn't materialise again.  Hope it's not a "here we go again" scenario.

I agree about the hubs. In my Dad's location it did work if placed on the window sill, and it was quicker I think that the 8mb he gets on the broadband, but if you move it a few inches it fails. 4G/ 5G is pretty pants where I live too, but is a small town. 5G at work is great with humungous download speeds, pity he doesn't live there!

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Just to finally put this to bed, the fault now seems resolved. Dad has agreed 76 days compensation, with the deduction of one month's subscription and the remainder to be paid by cheque.

Glad it's finally over, a shame Openreach considered it acceptable to leave an elderly couple without for so long. Thanks for everyone's input, it was appreciated.

Mark