cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing out home phones

MixerBIscuit
Dabbler

Re: Phasing out home phones

Thank you for the reply. that does bring the focus a bit sharper. There are still a couple of issues that would benifit some clarification. The first being there is no facility to renew the home phone plan on the website. how will this be done? secondly given that Plusnet are not offering VOIP, if you want to keep your existing number, which involves porting the old number with a consequent loss of broadband. Is the only option to switch to one of the new FTTP providers having previously set up the VOIP and port the existing number when the current contract expires.So effectively you could be paying for 2 broadband connections for however long it may be. This would lead to loss of customers or is this a BT group plan to phase out the plusnet brand in favour of the premium ones currently on offer?? Many thanks Len..

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@MixerBIscuit 

If you renew your contract you stay on PSTN for the time being. Try phoning the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to see what they say.

If you renew without the phone line you go onto a product called SOGEA (internet only). From the date of change you have 30 days to "port" your number to a VOIP provider if you so wish.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 404

This would lead to loss of customers or is this a BT group plan to phase out the plusnet brand in favour of the premium ones currently on offer?Huh

Its not a phase out of the Plusnet brand. PN/BT have decided there are a large percentage of customers who do not require a landline. Therefore PN can continue to provide a service without the costs of establishing and supporting a voip platform.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hirot36
Dabbler

Hi, just done the change to voip and it is easy. 

My current landline/broadband contract ran till June and so I took out a contract with A&A for a voip number in order to familiarise myself with what happens and arrange with them that I wouldcwant to port my number. Then changed  my PP contract to fibre only, they gave me a change over date and 3 days before it was to change to broadband only, I let A&A know and paidcthe £15 porting fee. I will cancel the first voip number next week.

The upside is that I saved £3 a month with PN and the voip only costs £1.40 with 1.5p a min for calls. Much cheaper than PN.

I also bought the Yealink phone and base as my old phones were gettingba little tired and it was the easy option.

Win win really....although I would have prefered to stay on the old system, especially as we have no mobile signal.

nursemorph273
Grafter

@Mr_Paul 

Yeah, I might start migrating important emails over and then see. To be fair, I would be quite happy to stay with PN regardless of email as I have been with them for 16 years and can count on one hand the number of times I have had internet issues in that time.

@bmc 

I had a quick look earlier and will investigate further at some point. Just need to work out if I need a new router as Hub 2 doesn't seem to have a phone jack in it. Having the phone be out doesn't matter too much as I have a mobile phone...I don't often use my landline to be fair, just that I hate using my mobile for calls (it's too bulky)

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@MisterW wrote:
@MixerBIscuit wrote:

This would lead to loss of customers or is this a BT group plan to phase out the plusnet brand in favour of the premium ones currently on offer?Huh

Its not a phase out of the Plusnet brand. PN/BT have decided there are a large percentage of customers who do not require a landline. Therefore PN can continue to provide a service without the costs of establishing and supporting a voip platform.

Oddly enough, I was sitting here in my high backed chase lounge, with a open fire warming my tootsies whilst smoking my pipe when all of a sudden....

My BTSH (used on my PN Fibre connection of which the cabinet resides approximately 1500 odd metres away and thus I only have a small length of copper serving my line) started producing this pink fluff out of the air vents on my router and I nearly choked on my pipe.

Then my BT Diverse 7150 started producing the same and having retched further (due to the pipe now entering my windpipe) I then knocked my malt whisky onto the fire, causing a roaring fire!

It's fine though a some of this fluff went up in flames, yet you wouldn't believe what happened next....

My phonograph started playing by itself at the exact moment a man entered the room with a pull along vacuum cleaner and started sucking this pink fluff away, and no he wasn't my butler!

"No Fluff" is what I'm sure I heard from my phonograph

"My ears" (<- spelt the same anyway) I proclaimed!

This random guy just smiled and walked away.

I'm going to be having a ruddy nightmare when our friends and family realise what this switch off means for them.

I think I'm simply going to advise those whom wish to remain and long term loyal Plusnet customer that they get used to using something like WhatsApp to call us via their home WiFi (and/or up their portable telephone data plan) or indeed walk or summon a horse drawn taxi to get them to a pay phone if they need to call a digital landline.
For incoming communications that cannot use an App or why-f'eye I will suggest they ask those persons, in advance of this loss of service, to send a posted letter Smiley

Anybody want an old Facsimile Machine?

My outlaws, sorry, my M-I-L calls every blooming day and at least losing this method is the only bonus I can see.

With all that I've been reading, I really am not looking forward to what I'm surely going to have to endure. There is no way on this here planet that most of my older friends are going to be able to navigate their way into this modern evolution without a great deal of help, myself included to a degree. I doubt my (already in a bad place) mental health can hold up in totally honesty. Overall I'm really not a happy bunny Sad but understand why PN are going back to basics. I will leave this subject here.

Except to say in my most humble opinion somebody couldn't have read the memorandum correctly, but will that person from wherever you work happens to read this long reply and wants to go out and sort my elderly friends and family and my neighbours out - PM me and I'll give you ALL of their details. Thanks in advance. In my cul-de-sac there are 28 houses, with a rough count that 23 won't know how to sort this. And yes there's at least 2 that have never ever had an internet connection and one of those has or at least had a life line.

Oh one more thing, and I will become an observer again, are any other ISP's (not including BT) also allowing their customers to continue with an included voip/digital phone service? It's just so I could advise those I've mentioned that they could jump this ship, even if it means paying E-T-F's.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Oh one more thing, and I will become an observer again, are any other ISP's (not including BT) also allowing their customers to continue with an included voip/digital phone service? It's just so I could advise those I've mentioned that they could jump this ship, even if it means paying E-T-F's.

Some are, yes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks @MisterW 

I have no doubt that I'm bound to have to pass that on. Though I shall let the others do their own due diligence so I reduce the chances of any come back personally.

bmc
Hero

@nursemorph273 

Depending on who you go with for VOIP you might have to buy an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA) to use your phone with the PN Hub. Or you could buy a router which does the job for you.

I don't know a lot about this but it might also depend on your phone make / model.

Brian

MixerBIscuit
Dabbler

Thanks for all  the useful advice, the wheel of fortune pointer has

landed on

1/. get new VOIP    

2/. Get new providers fibre blown across the road from the openreach pole which has sprouted a of miriad alternative providers connections.

3/. Terminate contract early by requesting a number port

4/. Pay the early exit fee

This seems to give an appearance of having some control over the process.

We will cost it up and see  Thanks Len...

bmc
Hero

@MixerBIscuit 

Don't port the number until you have your new FTTP up and running - just in case something goes wrong with the install.

Note that you lose your PN e-mail on the day of cancellation.

Brian

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

@DS wrote:With all that I've been reading, I really am not looking forward to what I'm surely going to have to endure. There is no way on this here planet that most of my older friends are going to be able to navigate their way into this modern evolution without a great deal of help, myself included to a degree. I doubt my (already in a bad place) mental health can hold up in totally honesty. Overall I'm really not a happy bunny Sad but understand why PN are going back to basics. I will leave this subject here.

Except to say in my most humble opinion somebody couldn't have read the memorandum correctly, but will that person from wherever you work happens to read this long reply and wants to go out and sort my elderly friends and family and my neighbours out - PM me and I'll give you ALL of their details. Thanks in advance. In my cul-de-sac there are 28 houses, with a rough count that 23 won't know how to sort this. And yes there's at least 2 that have never ever had an internet connection and one of those has or at least had a life line.

This is going to be a very real problem unless someone forces providers to do something to address it.  Our neighbours don't use the internet, like us can't use mobile phones as there's no signal here, so rely on their landline phone.  I've already spent a fair time trying to help them get ready but, if I'm honest, I think everything I've said has gone in one ear and out the other.  Their view is that they've not been told anything by whoever provides their phone service and so it's up to that provider to make whatever changes are needed.  I can't help feeling that they may be in for a rude awakening when the PSTN gets turned off.

In a perfect world we'd rely on Ofcom to make sure that all providers keep their customers informed and put processes in place to ensure that no one loses any of the facilities they currently rely on that are provided via their landline.  In reality I fully expect that tens of thousands of people will lose access to things like linked alarms of all sorts and many more will most probably lose their phone number and possibly their landline phone functionality.  I doubt that Plusnet are the only provider that's walking away from offering any sort of landline service in future.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

1/. get new VOIP    

2/. Get new providers fibre blown across the road from the openreach pole which has sprouted a of miriad alternative providers connections.

3/. Terminate contract early by requesting a number port

4/. Pay the early exit fee

This seems to give an appearance of having some control over the process.

@MixerBIscuit obviously you don't need to retain any of the PLusnet additional services like email , so there MAY be another option :-

You create a new PLusnet account and order FTTP, making sure that you use the 'i wish to retain my existing service' option.

Once FTTP is installed you port the old number to voip as you suggest , which ceases the old plusnet account.

If you contact the Plusnet COT team beforehand and explain what you wish to do, they MAY well agree to waive any ETCs on the old account.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Well said @JSHarris, actually very well said 👍

It's not for me to question "Pink Fluff" TV adverts, but would it not be more prudent to say "look, at Plusnet we're stopping the normal phone network, we have no control over it, but we'll help you make this transition and help you every step of the way"?

Just saying.

I wasn't going to mention this, but heck why not. One of my elderly neighbours has or so we've been told, has dementia. There is NO way she could sort this out, or probably have the funds available to pay for any additional equipment or indeed know anything about leaving things switched on. I know, when her husband was alive, they used to turn almost everything off at the wall when they went to bed. They did not ever have the internet. But she now relies on the home phone more than ever. Plus she's prone to falling and it would break my heart if she switched off the 'new phone box' and forgot to switch it on in the morning and then took a tumble and god forbid caused a bleeding injury.

But yes I'm worried, some might say I'm making a telegraph pole out of a matchstick, but yes I'm still worried.

Balloonist
Dabbler

We only have fibre to the cabinet - Haven't heard any plans for Fibre to the pole and we are about a quarter of a mile  from the cabinet.. It's all very well talking about porting this and porting that, but until we get FTTP I can't see how I can retain my land line number.

The one thing I can do is to take up the offer of Swish Fibre who have installed underground fibre throughout the village that if I transfer to them, I can keep my land line number............. Which is a shame as I have been a PN customer for many years.