Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing out home phones

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Phasing out home phones

@JSHarris wrote:

Cheap PAYG SIM deals don't allow WiFi calling . . .

1pMobile allow WiFi calling; IMO they're reasonably cheap.

There may be others.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@JSHarris 

Cheap PAYG SIM deals don't allow WiFi calling . 

Monthly  contracts are available for under £4 per month.. See https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/.  

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 

I appreciate that, but that's still £4 a month that I am not paying out of my pension at the moment with the PAYG SIM (I only pay for calls with my present phone and rarely ever make calls with it, just enough to keep the SIM active), plus I would need to spend hundreds of pounds on a new mobile phone that allows WiFi calling, plus I would need to keep it charged up and switched on 24/7 if it is to replace the landline phone.  If I forget to charge the thing (quite likely at my age!) then I'm again left without an emergency call facility.  All told that's an extremely poor substitute for a normal landline phone, IMHO.

Baldrick1

@JSHarris 

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I too object to the end of the secure PSTN service that keeps working and in touch during a power cut. However, the die is cast and we have to adapt as best we can.

I have recently set up a friend who lives in a mobile dead spot with a phone that cost about £80 from a high street store and a Lebara SIM. This provides him with WiFi calling at home and by using it for outgoing calls he has stopped his landline phone calls package. This was costing him more than his mobile (with WiFi calling) monthly mobile, (which includes unlimited anytime calls), service. I calculate that it will take him just over a year to recover the cost of the phone.

Moderator and Customer

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 

Thanks, do you mind mentioning what make of phone that was, please, and will it sit in a charging cradle all the time, like a DECT phone?

My current mobile phone is a Nokia, as I can't get on with touch screens, I need to feel buttons to press!  That phone cannot be left on charge all the time, there is a warning in the manual not to do that, hence the reason I leave it in the car for emergency use if we are out and about.

We have three DECT phones (Panasonic ones), plus a simple phone plugged into the master socket for emergencies (as the DECT phones stop working during a power cut - we have a few of those here every winter).  I've set up another simple phone with a second hand analogue telephone adapter, battery back up power (for power cuts) and a (surprisingly cheap) Andrews & Arnold VOIP service as a temporary measure.   I've done this mainly as an experiment, in preparation for the time when our PSTN line ceases to work, so I have some feel for the viability of such a solution, with the intention of switching it to use the phone number we've had for many years if it proves to be reliable. 

For the month or so I've had it working it hasn't been that good.  It works OK except it's not much use during a power cut.  Despite the battery back up at my end, which keeps the router and phone adapter powered for a day or so, the broadband goes down about half an hour into a power cut.  It seems there's not much in the way of backup power provision from Openreach.  This isn't really acceptable, as the chances are fairly high that a lengthy power cut is the very time we may need to make an urgent call (if only to 105 to find out when the power is coming back on).

I have another possible solution to try to retain connectivity when the power fails, but that is proving to be a bit harder than I expected (especially on a limited budget).  I do wish that whoever came up with the idea to turn off the PSTN had though through the issues that those of us living in rural areas face without a landline phone.  I can't believe that we are alone in struggling to get something with the same reliability.

Baldrick1

@JSHarris 

It was the previous version of this https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2017390. It does not have buttons.

I’m afraid that there’s no way around the FTTC cabinet batteries only supporting connectivity for a short time. It is my belief that this is not a limitation with Full Fibre providing you have battery capacity to keep the ONT alive in addition to a router etc.

I have a good mobile connection at home, great, except that this is not supported during a local power cut. I suspect that this is all going to lead to a public outcry over unnecessary deaths before long.

Moderator and Customer

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

Many thanks, @Baldrick1 , much appreciated.

I share your concern about deaths from not being able to make emergency phone calls.  We were once cut off for several days with no power and relied very much on the landline at the time, mostly to stay in touch with concerned family, but it also gave us the reassurance that we could try and summon help if needed.

Because of the regular power cuts we have got backup power for the house, which we've had for years.  Means we can at least have the lights on and watch TV (thanks to Freesat - terrestrial TV here was a casualty of the digital switch over!).  Losing the phone wouldn't have bothered me too much 20 years ago, but it very much does now as we get older.

I've heard the same as you about FTTP, that it works OK during power cuts so would be a good solution if we could get it.  Unfortunately there are no plans to install FTTP here before 2030, and there doesn't seem to be any plans beyond 2030, so I can't assume that we'll get FTTP and the problem will go away.  My current  thinking is that I have no choice but to try and find a workaround myself, as it doesn't look as if any phone or internet service providers are likely to help.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

One further issue with dependency on a mobile phone in an area of no/poor coverage - as I found this week ,when the "3" network went down I couldn't make any calls because wifi calling won't work during the network outage either.

Mark280
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@JSHarris wrote:

@Baldrick1 

Thanks, do you mind mentioning what make of phone that was, please, and will it sit in a charging cradle all the time, like a DECT phone?

My current mobile phone is a Nokia, as I can't get on with touch screens, I need to feel buttons to press!  That phone cannot be left on charge all the time, there is a warning in the manual not to do that...

This might be of interest to you...

A mobile phone that - has buttons - comes with a charging cradle (which it can be left on) - and according to the user manual (p47), it can use 'Wi-Fi calling' (where a network operator supports it):

Doro 730X - - Doro

manual_doro_730x_en_v30_r20107.pdf

Some of Doro's other phones may have Wi-Fi calling, some won't have - I haven't searched through them all (expect it's usually only on the pricier phones).

And here is a very useful list of UK mobile service providers - which shows which do, or don't, provide Wi-Fi calling (amongst other things)...

List of mobile virtual network operators in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

...obviously I can't warrant that Wikipedia is always 100% accrate and up to date - so perhaps check individual mobile operators before any commitment (not that it's that much of a 'commitment' if using PAYG).

Mark280
Grafter
Fixes: 1

P.S. Re Doro phones...

Note, I've never actually owned a Doro phone myself - although I recently helped set up a cheap & basic 2G model for a friend's elderly Mum.

They are (clearly) a brand aimed at 'seniors' - a bit niche market - and debatably overpriced, in comparison with most regular mobile/smart phones.

Regular smart-phone users would no doubt find them lacking - in their having comparatively low processing power, relative lack of RAM, low storage memory, basic camera, etc.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Worth mentioning that you can also get desk phones that take SIM cards - they might be useful for some people.

Search for 'GSM desk phone' on Amazon, there are quite a few.
klyne
Grafter

Perhaps this is an unfair question but if Plusnet won't be offering VOIP does this mean that as BT/EE is under going a reorganisation that Plusnet won't survive with its own identity? It seems as if Open Reach are, in the near future, going to install fibre in front of my house (MK14) as men were checking the old TV infrastructure to see if they were able to pull the fibre through so maybe in the next year it might be a different story. Its important to me that I retain my landline. Does swapping from from Plusnet to BT count as a breach of contract if mid term change is made?

David 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

BT/EE/PN  have already undergone the reorganisation - they now supply - in order - the business market/premium residential/budget residential, so until (at least the next 'reorganisation') - that is how they see it. I don't know if it is still an option, but you could move from PN to BT without falling foul of ETC's - IF you arranged it through PN.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

Does swapping from from Plusnet to BT count as a breach of contract if mid term change is made?

@klyne technically it does because they are different companies. However I believe there is an agreement in place whereby if you wish to change to FTTP but retain a phone service, Plusnet will arrange to transfer you to BT and waive any early termination fees. You do need to arrange this via Plusnet and not via BT directly.

edit: @jab1 types faster than me and also explained the BT/EE/PN philosophy...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@klyne 

PN will allow a move to BT / EE free of charge - just organise it through them

You don't have to leave PN just tp keep you landline. There are many VOIP providers who will offer a service. A&A is one and they have good FAQ pages.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Don't make the move until FTTP is installed (unless going to BT / EE).

Brian