cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup of "Digital Voice" on hub 2 with third party number hosting and analogue phones

Mike28
Hooked

Setup of "Digital Voice" on hub 2 with third party number hosting and analogue phones

Hi all,

We've just had to switch from copper to fibre due to the closure of the local exchange and are struggling with the phones. 

Since Plusnet don't offer a VoIP service we've had the landline number ported to a third-party VoIP host.

I'm aware that our analogue phones will require an adaptor to work on the digital line, and have confirmed that they will function with a borrowed standalone analogue / digitial adaptor (ATA).

I notice that the Plusnet Hub 2 has a "digital voice" port that will accept the standard BT phone plug; suggesting that this might also be able to be used as an ATA with the analogue phones - which would be preferable from the perspectives of both reduced and clutter compared to buying a standalone adaptor.

I'm aware that a certain amount of programming is required to configure VoIP devices before use - be these IP phones themselves or the ATA adaptors used with analogue phones.

This suggests that if it's possible to use the Hub 2 as an ATA adaptor with the analogue phones plugged directly into it, the hub will require some configuration. I've asked everyone involved (Plusnet, BT, my number host) and nobody can provide a definitve answer.

I've looked at the router menu and there's no obvious route to VoIP setup; the closest appears to be port forwarding.

Can anyone please offer any help as to how I can setup the Hub 2 to work as an ATA with my analogue phones, or even just a broad-strokes overview of what's involved in configuring an ATA / IP phone so that I can look for an an analogy on the router?

Thanks!

Mike

34 REPLIES 34
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Setup of "Digital Voice" on hub 2 with third party number hosting and analogue phones

I'm pretty sure that you can't. There is no working digital voice port.

I, like many others here, have a separate VOIP "box" connected to a standard LAN port (there are three on a Hub Two) on the router. Mine happens to be a Gigaset N300 configure with an A&A account.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Setup of "Digital Voice" on hub 2 with third party number hosting and analogue phones

@Mike28 

What little I know about VOIP includes the fact that the phone port on the Hub2 is not operational. I believe you connect the ATA via an ethernet cable to the router.

More details on the ATA and which VOIP service your using might help others help you.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@Mike28 That 'digital voice' port is only there because the Hub2 is a rebranded BT one, which because PN do not offer a VoIP product, is disabled. In any case, it only worked with BT's proprietary VoIP offering.

You therefore have to use an ATA - sorry.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Mike28  It's not what you want to hear but the Plusnet Hub2 has no VOIP functionality, the equivalent BT HUB which is basically the same hardware supports BT Digital Voice, but the Plusnet firmware dos not have any VOIP capability. 

You have to use a separate ATA or a VOIP compatible Dect phone, such as the Gigaset models, I use a rather old Gigaset system that was originally sold for use on the now defunct Tesco VOIP service.

Mike28
Hooked

Thanks all - obviously not what I wanted to hear but I really appreciate the confirmation that nobody else was able to provide.

That question answered I can now move on and buy (or at least begin to painfully research) an ATA - I'd be interested to hear any recommendations!

bmc
Hero

@Mike28 

Does your VOIP provider offer one? May not be the best but at least you'll know it works.

Have you considered power cuts - VOIP doesn't work without back up power?

Finally, rather than buying an ATA have you considered getting a new digital phone instead?

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Mike28 

I have set up a https://www.grandstream.uk/product/grandstream-ht801-1-port-fxs-ata-telephone-adapter/ for use with a BT DECT phone with call guardian etc features and it all worked fine.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mike28
Hooked

Thanks for your thoughts - the short of it is that I'm on my own with sourcing an ATA.

I'm aware of the issue with power cuts; only potential safeguard I can think of is to run the router, ATA and phone base unit through an uninterrupted power supply. I believe BT were touting these for "vulnerable" users but haven't heard any more in this regard. I'm interested to hear any alternatives you might be able to suggest.

I want to retain the existing phones as my elderly mother struggles with tech at the best of times, we've had them forever and she's comfortable using them.

Mike28
Hooked

Thanks - looks like a decent unit and towards the lower end of the prices I've been seeing, so I'll take a look!

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Mike28  What type are your existing phones? Some VOIP units will effectively replace a DECT base station so you can use the same cordless handsets. But if you want to plug existing phone cords in that's a different type.

Also you need to think about answering machine capabilities if that's relevant, e.g. the service I chose emails you a sound clip as an attachment. For me that's better, but not everyone wants that solution.

bmc
Hero

@Mike28 

When you say you're on "fibre" do you mean FTTP (Full Fibre) or FTTC? There's a difference when it comes to power cuts. The Cabinet will only last as long as it's backup battery. Also with FTTP you have to power the ONT.

You need to do a search for power backup reviews. I found the following - there are others. They are not necessarily up to date but it gives some idea of what's available.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/12/solutions-for-battery-backup-of-fibre-broadband-and-vo...

https://www.pcguide.com/psu/guide/best-uninterruptible-power-supplies/

https://techguided.com/best-uninterruptible-power-supplies-ups/

Brian

Mike28
Hooked

Thanks - the existing phones are a set of ancient Panasonic cordless items; three total consisting of one base set and two slaves. I wasn't aware of what you suggest, but to be honest compatability seems like a minefield and I think I'd rather keep everything as simple and predictable as possible.

What dictates the answerphone capacity - is that a function of the handset (and by extension the ATA perhaps?), the number hosting service or both?

Mike28
Hooked

Thanks - yes; it's FTTP and good point about the ONT; I'd forgotten about that.

Thanks for the links; I'll take a look!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Answerphone features can be built in to the DECT base unit, not the handset, the phone service, (be it PSTN or VOIP) or both.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'