cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation fees when migrating to EE

jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

Cancellation fees when migrating to EE

I've currently got Plusnet Fibre 500, but my son has just started working for EE (in their billing department), so was suggesting if I move to them, we could avail of his staff discounts and get their 1.6GB service.  I had to break the news to him that with our house wired with Cat 5E, and everything running through a 1Gb switch, there's not much point in getting anything faster than a 900Mb service.  I'm not really worried about the staff discount, and would prefer to keep the contract in my own name, but given that EE are now offering 900 for £3 less than Plusnet monthly, plus 12 months Game Pass, I thought it worth a move.  

I was of the opinion that moving between BT group companies was done without an early termination fee, so was quite shocked to hear I'd have to pay in excess of £150 to switch to EE (I'm halfway through a 24 month Plusnet contract) but this fee would be waived if I migrated from Plusnet to BT.  I mentioned this to my son, who said he'd query it with his EE colleagues today.  

He's just come home and told me he was advised we should shift from Plusnet to BT (which should be free of any migration fees), then after I get my first BT bill, do another free migration from BT to EE.  I can understand the logic, but not the reason why fees apply when moving directly, but not if I do it in two jumps.  I'm still being tied to the BT group for another 24 months, it's not like they are losing a customer to another ISP, so why the charge.  If anything, this will cost BT more. there will be two sets of processes to go through, and I'll end up with an unneeded BT router.  Having read a few migration horror stories, I'm most worried that I'll lose connection at a time when both my wife and I are working from home full time, so I can't afford to have any internet downtime.

I noticed Plusnet have dropped the price of their 900 package to £49.99, yet BT and EE offer the same speed for £46.99 - I was under the impression that EE is now BT's premier brand, yet they are offering cheaper prices (and free Game Pass) than Plusnet, all very strange.

3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Cancellation fees when migrating to EE

Why not just call PlusNet and see if they can match/better the EE offer?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

I was of the opinion that moving between BT group companies was done without an early termination fee, so was quite shocked to hear I'd have to pay in excess of £150 to switch to EE (I'm halfway through a 24 month Plusnet contract) but this fee would be waived if I migrated from Plusnet to BT.

I'm not sure that there is a general waiving of ETC's when moving from Plusnet to BT (or EE). There are specific circumstances under which ETC's will be waived . They include :-

1) Migrating from a Plusnet product which currently includes a phone service to a BT/EE product with Digital phone

2) Migrating from a Plusnet business account (since Business ic closing)

@jpwilliams_com since you're already on an FTTP product and therefore don't have a phone service 1) wont apply and I would guess you're not a business user ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

It might be worth adding, that in the case of number 1 from @MisterW's list, I'm sure that needs to be initiated through Plusnet, rather than BT/EE.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.