cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation date much longer than quoted

Matb1ack
Dabbler

Activation date much longer than quoted

I placed an order today and selected an activation date of next Tuesday. However I received a confirmation stating a date two weeks away.

This is a new flat with a brand new Openreach FTTP box installed, everything is connected, no provider has previously provided service on the box so it's not a switch over.

I'm wondering why I'm waiting two weeks for a self install when all that is required is to send out the router for me to plug in. If I'd have known it would take this long I'd have chosen a different provider.

Can anyone explain?
40 REPLIES 40
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Activation date much longer than quoted

@Matb1ack I would guess that this is due to BT engineer availability.  Despite the fact that the infrastructure is installed, there are 'behind the scenes' operations which still have to be performed.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 404

This is a new flat with a brand new Openreach FTTP box installed

As part of the ordering process , the system will attempt to test the ONT to check it is functional. It sounds like that test failed and so now an Openreach engineer appointment is required to complete any installation

@Matb1ack  is the ONT powered and what LED's are on ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Forgot that Embarrassed

John
Matb1ack
Dabbler

Thank you for replying

Power is green and PON is flashing green, these are the only lights lit.
jab1
Legend

Is your Hub connected to the ONT?

John
Matb1ack
Dabbler

I don't have a hub yet, my understanding is they send it out closer to the activation date.

This order was only made yesterday and I was delighted when the system offered me an activation date of next Tuesday.

Then I got emails saying 2nd of May
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and PON is flashing green

I'm not totally sure but I think that means the ONT isnt correctly configured

This is a new flat with a brand new Openreach FTTP box installed, everything is connected, no provider has previously provided service on the box so it's not a switch over.

Given that, the ONT would have been installed during the build, it sounds like this wasn't completed properly. Its possible that the Openreach engineer recorded an incorrect ONT serial no against the property.

Either way, it does sound like the installation can't go ahead as a remote activation, it needs an Openreach engineer and that's why the date has been pushed back. I'm afraid that will apply to any ISP who tries to order FTTP.

You might try calling Plusnet to check what the situation is, mention the ONT PON flashing and they MAY be able to do some more detailed checks including checking if the ONT has the correct serial number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Ah, OK that makes sense. It appears, from a quick Google that your Fibre circuit is set up - the flashing PON - but maybe Plusnet are a bit behind.

Might be an idea to give them a call and see what the hold-up is.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 there seems to be conficting information out there as to what a 'flashing PON' actually means.

I was going by this https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/FTTP-PON-light-is-flashing-on-my-ONT-modem-what-is-wr...

jab1
Legend

@MisterW I was going by this: https://www.zen.co.uk/help-support/ont-diagnostics/  as they seem well versed (although it appears to be quite an old article).

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1  yes but does

Flashing green if it's making a connection 

mean it has a connection OR its trying to make a connection . I suspect its the latter, and it can't make one because the ONT serial no isnt registered.

jab1
Legend

Think you may be suspecting correctly - but who knows? 😉

John
Matb1ack
Dabbler

Thank you

I suspect the developers have put the hardware in but haven't informed Openreach they need to do the splice.

I'm the first occupant of a renovation which has been made into flats. It would make sense they need to get an engineer out to finish the job 🙄

Frustrating, the fibre boxes were in weeks ago, if they had told Openreach promptly it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm not calling as solved quite yet but it seems logical
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I suspect the developers have put the hardware in but haven't informed Openreach they need to do the splice.

@Matb1ack the fibre must have been spliced , otherwise the LOS led would be on and the PON light would be OFF.

I'm the first occupant of a renovation which has been made into flats. It would make sense they need to get an engineer out to finish the job

My guess (and its just a guess) is that everything is installed and spliced BUT the ONT's have been registered incorrectly to the various flats.

Does the BT wholesale address checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome show different addresses for each flat , and does each have their own (correct) UPRN ?

You can check the UPRN here https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/