cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental

Pault69

Line rental

I was previously with Sky with Broadband and phone (line rental included). We have just moved to Plusnet on a 2 year contract for broadband (£24.99 deal) but there were no talk services available as they said they don’t do them. Plusnet said they will organise the switch so I thought it was straight forward. The broadband switch has gone very smoothly but I’ve since had a letter from Sky saying;

“We're sorry you're leaving us
Hello Paul,
We've been advised by another provider that you're transferring your Sky Broadband Superfast for
This will take place on 18/04/2024.
If you have also arranged for your Talk services to be transferred to another provider we will contact your separately to confirm the date of the switch.
Please note: As your Sky Broadband and Talk services are linked, if you have not arranged to transfer your Talk to another provider, your Sky Talk will be cancelled 30 days after your Broadband is transferred. If your Talk does not transfer to another provider before this date your line will be cancelled, your phone number will become inactive and your Broadband service with your new provider will also cease.”

When I took the Plusnet 2 year contract out I thought the cancellation of Sky (even Talk) would be cancelled. Does the Plusnet contract include line rental? Surely I still need the phone line for broadband?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paul
8 REPLIES 8
Mark63
Rising Star

Re: Line rental

You're still renting a 'line', regardless whether there's a voice service on it or not 😎.

What Sky are getting at I think, is that the phone number you had with their service, will remain available for you to port to a VoIP supplier for 30 days after the migration to PlusNet. It's a Ofcom requirement for that to be the case.

If you don't wish to keep your old Sky number with a third party VoIP supplier, don't worry...

PlusNet will not be using it either, or supplying a voice service themselves

Pault69

Thanks for reply Mark. Just wasn’t sure if my 2 year contract for £24.99 with Plusnet included line rental, cant check any where. Didn’t make sense the last sentence on the Sky letter too - “ your Broadband service with your new provider will also cease.”
But yeah I’m definitely not bothered about the old number, we decided to try without a talk plan. Cheers
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Pault69  Don't worry about what Sky are saying, it's wrong. Your broadband will not be ceased.  See this thread ....

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Switching-to-Plusnet/m-p/1960617 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@Pault69 If you have a PN Broadband service up and running , that 'threat' that your service will cease is just that - an empty threat. Once PN have enabled your service, SKY cannot touch it.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

This all seems a bit muddy and might be legacy communications from Sky ... but!!

@Pault69 when you ordered service from Plusnet, what did you request in the context of your existing number?  BT Openreach do not offer WLR for voice services any longer (that's the reason why Plusnet no longer officer voice services); Sky have for sometime delivered voice services over VoIP and POTS.  What I do not know is if your voice service was previously delivered over VoIP ... and somehow Sky has within their systems linked to your 'land line' ... what could happen when they pull the plug on the voice / VoIP service.

If you want to keep the number I recommend that you port it to a VoIP provider of your choice pronto.  Many recommend A&A.  If you do not want to keep it, then seek clarification form Sky, confirming that they will not do anything which might be detrimental to your new SOGEA service.

Note: It is now not necessary to have a "land line number" to receive broadband over the copper circuit.  Where FTTP is not yet available, FTTC is supplied as SOGEA over the copper circuit - that is data only without a POTS voice service.  FTTP does not have a "phone number / service" as such.

@jab1 we have seen third party killing a land line number causing the termination of all other services on that line, regardless of who is the service supplier.  That's how my Plusnet business service was terminated - Zen pulled the number and everything stopped.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@Townman Fair enough, I hadn't thought of that.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Pault69 

A passing thought, if you are receiving your Plusnet service via SOGEA (connected to the old master phone socket as before) plug a handset into the line.  If there is a dial tone, ring 17070 and see if the number is your number.

Immediately on my service migration to Zen, the dial tone remained, but the number was different ... and could not be called.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pault69

Hi, thanks for that info. To answer the question, when I signed up to Plusnet I was told I wouldn’t have a talk plan (landline) and we were signing into a broadband only service. That’s fine, we are happy to just see how we go on broadband only in our household and im not bothered about retaining our landline phone number. I was sure if my plan included a line rental with Plusnet or if after the 30 days Sky will cease the line and in turn we lose our new Broadband with Plusnet.

Cheers