cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 and Linksys velop MESH routers

Chickendaddy
Hooked

Hub 2 and Linksys velop MESH routers

I have just taken delivery of a Hub 2 modem/router after my old hub died.  I am now trying to get the new hub to work with my Linksys velop MESH network, but cannot get it to connect to the internet.  I have tried the hub in both bridged and non bridged modes but without luck.  The MESH network is required as i have a very large area of cover.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Tags (4)
16 REPLIES 16
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Hub 2 and Linksys velop MESH routers

Are you on Full Fibre FTTP or via phone line VDSL/FTTC?

Did you have it working before? If so how was it set up then? Nothing should need changing.

Chickendaddy
Hooked

I'm on VDSL/FTTC.

I was not expecting to have to make any changes, but although my velop router is plugged into a network port on the hub 2, it is not rrecognised as a connected device when I go into the hub manager.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Set the Hub 2 in bridge mode. Configure the Velop WAN connection for PPPoE with your Plusnet username & password.

The hub 2 in this mode is just a modem, you can not access it gui and the wifi is off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chickendaddy
Hooked

Tried that, but still no joy.  I think that I will try doing a factory reset on the Linksys router if I cannot get anything else to work.

I appreciate your help.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

And make sure you are plugged into the Hub2 Lan port, and not the Wan port.

Chickendaddy
Hooked

Logged into Ethernet port 2.  Double checked the account name and password setting for the router.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

The Hub Two light should be a pink/purple colour when in bridge mode.
You do not need a VLAN 101 on the mesh router
LAN 1, 2 or 3 to the mesh WAN port
Chickendaddy
Hooked

Hub2 is purple.

Not sure what is meant by a VLAN 101. 

As it is getting a bit late here, I'll start again in the morning, probably by a factory reset on the routers and start from scratch with them.

As a matter of curiosity, is it possible to have the hub2 in non bridge mode and still have the routers on a separate network ID, or would that mess up the DNS?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Once the Hub two is in bridge mode there is no further configuration required to it.

The Velop router should have a configuration for the internet connection referred to by many as the WAN.

There should various connection types available, Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE, in this case you are looking for PPPoE, does your device offer these choices?
Broadband username or login name - yourusername@plusdsl.net
Password - The password you use for the members centre.
Connection type or encapsulation - PPPoE Always On
CHAP authentication.
NO VLAN is required.
You connect to any LAN port (not the WAN port) of the Hub Two to the WAN port of the Velop.

What was the previous modem/router used before, do you know which mode your Velop was setup to, this will illuminate how you previously had it working?

What is the exact model of the Velop device?

Chickendaddy
Hooked

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll verify the settings.

My previous modem was a vigor 130, which is only a modem.  My velop devices were almost just plug and play with that.  I did consider replacing that, but Plusnet provided me with the hub2 FOC, so I would like to use that rather than invest in a new pure modem.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

My previous modem was a vigor 130, which is only a modem.

The Hub 2 in bridge mode is exactly that, just a modem. So your Velop configuration should be exactly the same...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chickendaddy
Hooked

Managed to get the Linksys routers operating, but for some reason only when the bridging is off.  As soon as I enable bridge mode the routers lose their internet connection.   The end result is what I want to achieve, but I don't know why bridge mode needs to be enabled.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Chickendaddy 

As soon as I enable bridge mode the routers lose their internet connection.

They would do unless the velop router internet connection is set to PPPoE using your broadband username password pair.

I am very curious why you can not use PPPoE as before when you used the Vigor 130.

Can you share the exact model number of the Velop Mesh system?

Two routers connected back to back results in Double NAT