cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a BT Business Smart Hub 3 on plusnet FTTC or FTTP?

boogle
Hooked

Using a BT Business Smart Hub 3 on plusnet FTTC or FTTP?

I purchased a new BT business smart hub 3 on ebay as a bit of an experiment with the hope it would work on my plusnet FTTC connection (like some older BT smart hubs do). It doesn't work, and the router seems to have a hard coded username of btbusinesshub@business.btclick.com and no way to change that to my plusnet credentials, if I go to the advanced settings page where the broadband username is it just come sup with "We experienced difficulty getting the data. Could you kindly reload the page? [CHOP3-800]". The router seems very buggy when navigating around the menus in general as well. There is no option to split 2.4 and 5ghz networks either like on older BT hubs. I suspect it would benefit a firmware update but at the moment I have no way to connect it to get that done. Current firmware is r0.74.0-R-760043-PROD-83002

I bought the BT hub to use wifi 6 and hoped that would come in useful as I am moving to plusnet FTTP in May. It is not totally useless as I have connected my plusnet hub back to broadband, and connected the BT hub to a lan socket on the pusnet hub, set a different IP to the BT hub and turned DHCP off on it. I am now using the 2.4 connection on the plusnet hub and 5ghz on the BT hub with different SSIDs. I can see a stronger connection all around the house on the 5ghz network with both wifi6 and wifi5 devices using the BT hub than I used to get on the plusnet hub.

Does anyone know if the BT hub will work if I connect it directly to the ONT when plusnet FTTP is installed? Or are BT business hubs hardcoded to BT connections or somebody's BT account? Any tips to get it working fully would be appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Using a BT Business Smart Hub 3 on plusnet FTTC or FTTP?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@boogle

I have no experience of the BT business smart hub 3, but when you are trying to change the credentials, are you disconnecting the hub from the internet - preferably by pulling out the cable that goes to the phone socket on the wall or ONT?

boogle
Hooked

To confirm, I have tried to configure the hub with it not connected to anything other than my laptop via ethernet cable. it's the same everytime (the error msg I mentioned when going into the advanced config screen where you would typically put in your credentials. It's seemingly stuck with that BT user name).

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

Have you tried disconnecting the DSL cable first, this may allow you to change the details?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

@boogle  have you tried doing a factory reset, so there is no prior user altered settings and passwords

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@boogle - I'm afriad you'll not be able to change the PPP credentials on the Smart Hub 3, ergo you'll not be able to connect it directly to your ONT. The errors navigating the GUI will likely be because elements of it are dependent on cloud communication.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

boogle
Hooked

Thanks all for the suggestions, I tried them all but no joy, so it's just a daisy chained wifi 6 router for me with no modem.

Bob, I think you are right. Do you know if I gave it to someone who has BT infinity residential FTTC, could they use it? Would it communicate tocloud and do firmware updates etc?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I suspect it would be OK, yes.

Almost certainly if the PPP username is currently configured to bthomehub@btbroadband.com.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

boogle
Hooked

I can give it a try, But the user id is stuck as btbusinesshub@business.btclick.com

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I think that should also be OK, but I can't be 100% certain without some leg work (which I'm not in a position to do at the moment).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

boogle
Hooked

Thanks, it will take me a few weeks, but I will try and get it connected to my friends BT home line and see if it works for him more fully.

Mahammad

Any luck? I'm hoping to get it as it has WiFi 6 but apparently better DNS customisations compared to the consumer BT Smart Hub 2, I'm on FTTC though.