cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping/lag spikes while gaming

Bramzah

High ping/lag spikes while gaming

Hi, need some help.

I’m using unlimited fibre extra broadband and when gaming I’m getting high ping spikes and unstable network when a few other devices are watching Netflix or streaming shows. I go from 14 ping to high spikes up to 100. When I’m the only one in the house gaming it’s fine and no problems. Only until in the evening when up to 4 devices are watching shows etc. but I wouldn’t expect a Ethernet cable to be to unstable. ( also tried other Ethernet cables) We had the pro add on added last year as had the same issues and it was fixed. But now the pro add on has gone I’m having the same issues again. I’m using a Ethernet cable to PC and tried all troubleshooting problems. Not a PC problem either as it done this on my Xbox and ps5 console aswell. Also when streaming shows on tv lots of buffering and not performing how it should be , really disappointed. We only have 1 month left on the contract but considering to change network as just a joke now! I’ve heard changing from a plusnet hub one to a bt hub 6 may help. Any suggestions? Thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: HIGH PING/LAG SPIKES WHILE GAMING

@Bramzah  Welcome to the Community forum.

You can only use your available bandwidth once. What speed should you be getting? Put your phone number in here to check: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

What speed are you actually getting with nothing using the Internet apart from a computer connected to the hub by an Ethernet cable runnung only a speedtest?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bramzah

I’m getting 13 ping, 45mb down and 7.12 upload
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

If you assume that HD streaming takes about 5Mbps and 4K streaming up to 15Mbps, based on how many and at what resolution they are all demanding feeding one can see that they could well be fighting for their share of 45Mbps with no buffering, be it on the downstream or upstream paths.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bramzah

I tested it last night and I was watching Netflix on my phone and my hd tv too without any other devices and was still causing lag/ping spikes when gaming. Really unsure why this is happening. There’s only 2 other tv’s max that will be streaming in hd and that’s it and really shouldn’t be making me lag. Any other help?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues while gaming.

Could you private message me your account username so I can take a look?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet