cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ofcom Market bands announced

Mand
Grafter

Re: New Ofcom Market bands announced

It's worth bearing in mind that these changes haven't been confirmed yet, it's just at consultation stage at the moment.
I can't see us doing anything until it's all confirmed, if that happens.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Edit by Jelv: Removed a post relating to how appropriate this topic is in this forum.
I have started a new topic Move of an inappropriate topic to the announcements forum in the Community Site and Forums forum as that is a far more appropriate place to discuss this matter.
My original post is in there quoted in full.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Tough
It was my decision and I am sticking with it.
I considered that it would be of great interest to the users who aren't yet on Market 3 (and a very few who are)
The fact that I just moved the thread instead of starting a new one with a quote is, in my opinion, irrelevant.
Regarding the sticky, as I said when I transferred it, that would be temporary and it is now unstickied
Not applicable

Whatever the status of the topic, I did notice it so am glad that it was posted where it was.  Anyway, despite the fact that it is not yet confirmed (despite what the Sam Knows website says), I am still wondering about the answers to the OP's questions:

1) Apparently consultation on the proposed changes will be over by the end of the year, do they by default kick in, unless otherwise notified?
2) Will Plusnet seamlessly adopt the new structure?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

I would be very supprised if these where to just kick in by default when the consultation finishes.  I would imagine the results of the consultation will be compiled and discussed by ofcom, and then an announcement of some kind made.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: poppy
Whatever the status of the topic, I did notice it so am glad that it was posted where it was.
You and me both!, Pity though as looks like I'm not going to be market 3 when this perhaps kicks off Cry
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Laser
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
It's worth bearing in mind that these changes haven't been confirmed yet, it's just at consultation stage at the moment. 

I made some enquiries and it is OFCOM's opinion that the Market 1&2 -> 3 changes are now in force, but the seven Market 3 -> 2 changes don't happen until April.
They also made the point that no ISP is obliged to adjust pricing because of market deregulation.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That isn't actually true as there is a 12 month lag before the deregulation happens
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/3951184-re-plusnet-mislead-and-lies-about-market-23.html
Laser
Grafter

Well now that's going to be a sack of cats to explain to customers! Roll_eyes
"You get cheaper broadband if you're on a market 3 exchange. Except if you're on the market 3 exchanges that used to be market 2. Until we change our minds."
Hmmm...  Crazy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm beginning to wish I'd never heard of Market classifications Roll_eyes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

Me too Strat!  I still can't fathom why respected sites such as Kitz.co.uk and SamKnows say these exchanges are M3 and PN not recognize it but then I have a vested interest as one of my pals is on an exchange which has been upgraded.  She definitely needs lower costs.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

If Plusnet are not to get lambasted on this forum and elsewhere, Plusnet need to make a detailed announcement about this giving timelines as best they can.
If Plusnet keep just saying "exchange X is not market 3" when the rest of the world says it is, they are just going to find themselves lambasted, ridiculed and hauled to in front of the ASA and perhaps even Trading Standards.
jim:quote
Spider
Grafter

I have followed this debate on various forums and as yet all the evidence that exchanges have changed their market is based on consultation documents. So far I have not seen any evidence that the changes have been ratified.
With regard to Kitz.co.uk and Samknows both agreeing that the status as changed, this is not surprising as Kitz acknowledges the use of the Samknows database for its information. So in reality we have Samknows saying the changes have happened, linked reports saying that everything is in consultation and finally Plusnet saying the changes haven't been implemented as yet. Somewhere in all that is the TRUTH.......
Laser
Grafter

So far I have not seen any evidence that the changes have been ratified.

I wont quote a private email here, but I enquired of a third party and they responded with a statement from Ofcom to the effect of what I posted above. Please take special note of the second point - nobody has to do a thing about market classification if they don't want to. Any debate with PN is purely with regard to their own sales/marketing policies.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Unfortunately PN have to pay BT wholesale, and until BT Wholesale ratify the OFCOM  statement, it is Status Quo