cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attn :- Superuser group - Annoying Pop-up amounting to harassment.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Attn :- Superuser group - Annoying Pop-up amounting to harassment.

@shutter wrote:

@MauriceC and so,  from your post..I assume you have had enough of being harassed and given in to the bullying approach..

No!  I treat the PN Survey much as I do the many other unwanted pop-ups I get on various web sites.  Your use of "harrassed and bullying" is IHMO well OTT. 

Sort out your Firefox settings to not delete the cookie and you'll not be bothered for some time.  I've only seen it the once in three months!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You ever watch that animal training program on the TV. Seems the use of various prompts from food to ringing bells can train animals to do almost anything.

Here we just have popups. Same result with a high number of people being successfully trained through repetition and prompts to press buttons and make selections.

Perhaps they will make another TV version with people. Doesn't seem a lot of difference. We even have a few self confessed trainees who would probably volunteer to appear.Smiley

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 66

@MauriceC  & @jaread83

@MauriceC wrote:

Sort out your Firefox settings to not delete the cookie and you'll not be bothered for some time.  I've only seen it the once in three months!

To a very limited point... I understand what you are saying.... however...

there is a majority of people on the internet, that are not as "computer savvy" as you,  and a few other "geeks",.

. to be able to ...

a) sus out what you are talking about,. 

b) able to recognise what a cookie is

c) recognise which cookie is causing the problem...

d) and even less likely to know anything about "browser settings"...  and how to change them, ( beign fearful of stopping the browser working altogether)... to stop this harassment and bullying caused by lazy or incompetent program writing.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The people who don't know anything about cookies or browser settings will have never changed any web browser settings, and therefore won't have the problem.

billnotben
Community Veteran

Even assuming those "people" won't have that particular problem they sure would be leaving themselves open to many other problems.

They just as well post pictures on facebook with "walk all over me" printed on their foreheads.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think any default web browser settings are that bad.

ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't understand how you have the cheek to have 9 pages of being abusive to staff saying they are lazy and incompetent @shutter .

The pop up is working exactly as it does on the majority of sites that have similar systems. There is nothing lazy or incompetent about it. A flag in the database is not an appropriate choice for these sorts of surveys as it needs to reach users who are both signed in and not signed in.

The simple fact is you have changed the settings on your devices to delete the cookie associated with the pop up. You are creating the issue for yourself.

Your choice is either sort your browser out which you have changed the settings on or put up with it.

You might want to look up what constitutes abuse and harassment as well as you are belittling people who are subjected to real abuse and harassment.

I'm surprised the thread has been allowed to go on so long with the abuse targeted at staff and the inane comments.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

You might argue the way he conducts himself constitutes harassment of the staff and SUs and other members who've tried to explain things to him.

Frankly they have the patience of a saint, I would have told him to [-Censored-] off long ago. 

shutter
Community Veteran

@ScottStorey Thankyou for your input... and, for your information, my thread is not a personal attack, nor abusive to,   anyone on  PlusNet staff... 

The laziness in the programming, of the forum, as I am sure you are well aware, is not due to PlusNet staff... therefore your rant is totally out of order. 

The whole point of my thread, that has , indeed been popular enough to generate 9 pages,  is that this popup has been wrongly programmed, and once the user, ( not just me personally ). has clicked NO THANKS... it should not appear again.. as mentioned by @jaread83 it could have been written so that the response was recorded at the server , or wherever....  but not as a cookie on users computers.  That is where the laziness has come into this.

you started off your thread in an attack mode....   quote ...

I don't understand how you have the cheek to have 9 pages of being abusive to staff saying they are lazy and incompetent @shutter .

perhaps this, will make it abundantly clear to you......

The simple fact is... that since I logged on today, I have been asked twice to partake in the survey, and both times , I have refused.  accordingly,  I have said, NO THANK YOU.. and that should be the end of seeing it...

.. this I constitute harassment, and bullying.... nothing to do with personalities, as you are implying. 

Your statement.....

Your choice is either sort your browser out which you have changed the settings on or put up with it.

Is patronising and threatening in it`s terminology.

it also misses the whole point..... regarding the subject matter of this post,

and the whole point of this board, being entitled,.... Community Site Feedback...

I am giving Feedback, regarding something that is not right on the Community Site..

If you  wish to accept the status quo, then you are welcome to view other posts not relating to this subject.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The biggest problem here @shutter is that you are not abiding by Plusnet's Ts&Cs for using their site which I mentioned earlier in this thread in post #56.

shutter
Community Veteran

Regardless of the T&C`s.... this thread is about feedback ,  with the sole intention of improving the community site... ( nothing to do with external sites and how they manage things )...  

If everyone adhered to the T&C`s as laid down, there would be no need for this board... nor any other feedback board... .

as nobody would be able to "complain" about things they do not like, in the FEEDBACK forum boards.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If YOU adhered to the T&C's this thread wouldn't have started.
shutter
Community Veteran

You mean that I should not be posting feedback ?  Explain to me , what is the point of having a Community Site Feedback board?

billnotben
Community Veteran

@ejs wrote:

don't think any default web browser settings are that bad.

Not bad as far as usability goes but default settings are usually what internet nasties are built to take advantage of.

Likewise no one would recommend that all your various devices be left with default passwords.

The question of T&C has been raised but seems to me to be irrelevant. Yes we all know that you have to accept cookies on many sites just for them to work. But I have yet to see any T&C or anything that says you have to agree to keep the cookie indefinitely on your device.

Yes this thread is making no discernible progress. Due to no discernible plusnet input. I would particularly like to hear from plusnet how this inane survey is of any benefit to the customer. And how they weigh up customer annoyance against any alleged or imagined benefits.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

This thread is making no discernable progress and has little liklihood of making further advance until Plusnet has had an opportunity to respond.  This is unlikely before Monday at the earliest.

Request mods to make at least a temporary lock

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.