Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 167

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Did I miss something?  What response from lithium?

I don't think @HarryB said that his comment was based on lithium input, rather that it was his understanding of the way it works.  It seems that getting clear insight on how this product functions from lithium is a real challenge - one wonders if they know themselves.

I think the simple answer here is that the counts on the forum boards do not consider what the logged in user cannot see.  Therefore the board summaries show more unread posts than the user can see when they look at the board.  The reason that access is restricted could be down to many reasons - spam filtering being only one of them.

If spam is moved to somewhere else (which is one interpretation of Harry's comment) then the unread count mis-match is down to some other condition not clearly defined - such as reported posts held for moderator / plusnet review.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've not seen a response from Lithium if we have had one (At least, I don't think I have)

Essentially, all I meant by my previous response was

Anotheronewrote:
it just hides them from view - except to those who have the relevant permissions - ie mods & Admin.

I don't see the response as an Admin, I would have to go to a different section of the forum (Spam Quarantine) to view the spam posts.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I believe that I understand the nature of the problem well enough, but now with two conflicting opinions on the underlying methodology of how things work we are no closer to defining a solution. 

Clearly there is an error in posting a Post count which differs from that which each user can access this still needs fixing..

It is obvious that I've misinterpreted both @HarryB and @Anotherone posts on this topic so I'll butt out now.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

To be fair, you and Anotherone may be correct in terms of the spam filter causing this. This thread wasn't created until about 2 weeks after the spam filter had been activated.

MauriceC wrote:
Actually moving the message to a new location creates a much bigger task in re-inserting the message back into position in the thread once released from quarantine?

This comment does make sense. However I don't see the post in the thread, so it's not a case of it being hidden but visible to people with the right permissions in the way I interpreted Anotherone's post initially.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 167

@MauriceC & @HarryB,

What I think we can all agree on at the moment is that it is a mystery... any opinion in the absence of fact from lithium is potentially valid.  My only contention here (Maurice) is that I did not think that lithium had pronounced on what is (or is not ) happening here.  So please do not stop contributing postulations!

MauriceC
Resting Legend

HarryB wrote:

I don't see the response as an Admin, I would have to go to a different section of the forum (Spam Quarantine) to view the spam posts.

Software 'smoke and mirrors' @HarryB ?   The closest analog I can give you as an example of how the Lithium Spam post list may work, is the Notification list - a collection of links to posts from all boards in the Forum, but presented in a very different part of the Community hierarchy.

NOTE: I've not seen the lithium code.

M

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I can currently see a post count of 1against Community Site Feedback but no unread Topic visible when I visit the board.  Nothing in Notification either?

Is there a message 'lost' in the SPAM trap?

M

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The most recent one (Actually 2 posts with the same comments) in Spam Quarantine are from the 19/06/16.

EDIT: Just had a thought. Does the 1 unread post remain there after you read this post: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Why-have-you-lowered-my-speed/m-p/1343650#M40201

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend

It's not that then Harry.  The board count was zero at around 13:00 before I got called away for a while.

M

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm at a bit of a loss again then Undecided

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Does the 1 unread post remain there after you read this post: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Why-have-you-lowered-my-speed/m-p/1343650#M40201

No, sadly.Sad  Got a notification for your last post and count went to 2.  Read your post and count returned to 1 - but no unread messages.

A mystery.

M

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I've also got one new post (and 10643 total) in Forum View for Community Site Feedback but nothing is highlighted in its forum list or for that forum in Unread Topics or Unread Posts. Huh

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Having worked through the boards I'm now left with unread topics and unread posts showing nothing, yet Forum View shows 10645 total and 2 new ones in Community Feedback.. One of the extra ones (since my previous reply) is that reply, the other the additional invisible one. Crazy2

David
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Same result here David.  To complete the loop, I've just clicked an 'Mark all read' at board level and hey presto, it's now reading 0.  Something very odd, like one part of the code believing that an action to 'Mark a post read' has completed when it hasn't?  Timing or synchronisation again?

Maurice

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Mysteriously, since my last post the total has changed to 10646 with 1 new. Looks like one of the invisible posts has been removed. Huh

David