Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

@jaread83 wrote:
Lithium are looking into this and emailed myself and Louisa last night to let us know that they are still looking into this. We will let you know when we get some updates about this.

Been a while since this issue  was raised (8 months ago) and 5 and a half months since the quoted post.

Is this problem ever going to be solved?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jaread83
Hero
Fixes: 81

This was fixed as part of a software upgrade and the support ticket was closed in August. I apologise for not getting back to the thread about this but I decided not to reply to the last post that was created which seemed like a personal attack against myself.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Well I've certainly seen it happen since August @jaread83!   With no visible updates on which reports have been fixed I've just not reported it again.  Roll_eyes

This 'bug' appears to be related - any updates?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Hero

I have sent a chaser email about that other issue as the last I heard they asked me for some more info and I pointed them to your thread.

AFAIK and going from any communications I have received, this was a bug in the system that has since been fixed. There is a rare case scenario in which a user would comment on a post (that was the OP of a thread) that got put into the spam filter but other than that the unread counts should be correct.

Can you provide me with any screenshots of a forum that has said it has 'X unread posts' when it actually has 'Y unread posts'?

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I don't have any incorrect counts at present @jaread83.  I cleared two about 10 days ago.  Next time I see one I'll report it.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@jaread83

I am still having to clear down erroneous unread counts daily, i.e. when the unread topic /post page is empty but the forum pages now show unread items in a board which aren't there when you enter it.

The new forum page with the unread counts highlighted by board have made seeing the invisible unread posts so much easier.

Hence why I asked.

jaread83
Hero

Let me know when you see such an instance and do not clear it, let me know as soon as you see it and where.. i will be able to see the state from what you see. Just don't clear it and let me know and i will take a closer look. it might be a permission on a board or it could be something else entirely. just let me know as soon as you see it.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Must be the season of goodwill @jaread83  Funny

Just noticed an occurrence on this very board!  

OK last up till about 21:00 read most of @Townman sad saga with Edge and memory problems then off to the pub.  Logged in this morning, saw 6 notifications flagged, visited the board and got up to date, back to Forum to see what else was interesting.  Community Feedback showing 4 'unread'?  Back into the board to verify there were no outstanding messages to read.  Now taken to the first message in the thread whilst previously it took me to the last read message.

Still stuck at 4 unread.

HTH

Maurice

jaread83
Hero

ok, let me take a look.

DO NOT CLEAR THOSE ITEMS!!!!

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Strange!   Saw the pop-up indicating you'd replied, went to Forum and saw 1 notification flagged, but count of unread was still showing 4?

Maurice

jaread83
Hero

Hi @MauriceC, I had to switch to your user so I could confirm and get screenshots. I accidentally came to this page as your user which would have marked my reply as being read.

I have gathered screenshots and sent a support ticket with solid evidence of this bug. While I wait for a reply, I am going to look at the board permissions and see if there is anything going on in there.

jaread83
Hero

Just had a look at all the permissions for your user and I can't see anything that would be out of place. If you could keep those 'new' items uncleared on this board for now that would be a great help as I may direct Lithium to your user.

One last test though... when you're done reading all of the new items on the forums... if you could clear the 'new' state for each individual category (my changes should make this somewhat easy to do) but leave this category and board untouched, maybe that would do something? I am thinking about 'moved' topics or posts within this board being moved elsewhere but for some reason the 'new' state is stuck on this board... I am clutching at straws here!

Give that a go and let me know if that has changed anything at all.

jaread83
Hero

@MauriceC, scratch that, Lithium are looking at your username as we speak so don't try what I have said above.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83  Noted!

SpendLessTime
Hero

@jaread83

Currently seeing 1 unread message at https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/bd-p/Plusnet when Unread Topics is clear and the forum board itself doesn't have any unread messages

unreadpic.PNG