cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user post visibility problems

Mav
Fixes: 517

Re: New user post visibility problems

Yes, it had been split then the title changed.

To be honest I not sure the split makes a difference I think it is just a title change that causes this. Maybe @jaread83 can shed more light.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jaread83
Hero
Fixes: 81

I don't think the split is the problem here but I could be wrong. We sometime can see that sometimes posts hang about in a limbo like state for a short amount of time before being visible. I am assuming that this could be the spam filter as it can be quite hard on newly registers users on the first post (from what I have observed anyway).
I am in contact with a Lithium support dev about the receiving of notifications from unverified accounts, hoping to see what they say and escalate this to the product devs to squash a potential bug.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 167

@Mav,

Thanks that would explain everything!!

Now I have gone and looked at the actual post I can see the thumb print of a mod ... advising they had just done that.

GUILTY: of seeing something which looked a bit similar to an issue under discussion ... and thinking it was another manifestation.  Sorry! Embarrassed 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Hero

I am guessing you all received a notification of a test account posting on this board? I just needed to get some screenshots to send over to Lithium to prove that unverified users can post and subscribers would get notified of it.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Mav
Fixes: 517

@jaread83

I did, indeed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@jaread83 wrote:
I am guessing you all received a notification of a test account posting on this board? I just needed to get some screenshots to send over to Lithium

20170809-1525-post-vis-2.jpgyep, got that, screenshot as shown.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jaread83,

Oddly enough I have not seen a notification. Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Hero

While investigating this bug I have found that the setting to authenticate users before or after they post was set independantly from the Community level and the Feedback category was set to 'after posting'. I changed the setting and it stops an unverified user from creating new topics but it doesn't stop them from replying to existing threads.

I have a meeting with Lithium on Friday to see if we can dig in a bit deeper to find out whats going on.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jaread83  I saw a 'pop-up' at about the time you posted, but it didn't appear in my Notifications?

jaread83
Hero

Not sure what happened there @MauriceC but I will be testing it over a webex call with a Lithium support agent so we can see whats going on. I have taken note of the popup and lack of notification.

jaread83
Hero

The bug has been identified and narrowed down to an issue with the 'reply' workflow as it should do the same as the 'new topic' workflow. The issue has been elevated to Lithium product developers to look into and a fix to be rolled out across all of their communities Wink I always thought it was strange that users could post in this way, glad it wasn't just us going crazy or we had missed a setting somewhere.

I will keep you updated about this when I hear back or see that the bug has been fixed in a software update.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jack - great result - as ever you're trail blazing for Lithium.

jaread83
Hero

Okay so I am going to keep this one short and sweet.

The issue with unverified users posting replies to threads has now been fixed. There was a bug in the software that was ignoring a setting in the admin panel that lets you choose whether or not unverified users can post before or after verifying their email account. This bug only applied to the 'reply' page (existing thread and adding a new reply) but not the 'post' page (topic creation) which are seperate templates.

This was fixed as part of a software release from Lithium.

Support made me aware of this fix around 15 minutes ago and before posting here I have tested it all and I am happy to confirm that this shouldn't happen again. No more notifications of new replies that you cannot see due to the post not being visible until email has been verified.

Thanks Smiley