cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

36Mb/s FTTP upload speed

briank
Grafter

36Mb/s FTTP upload speed

I have not had any problems with download speeds on my 36Mb/s FTTP broadband.

However today I uploaded a 700MB video file to my Google Drive.

It took about 45 minutes. That works out about 250KB/s (roughly 2Mb/s).

While it was busy uploading, browsing other web pages became noticeably slow.

That suggests the broadband connection is the bottleneck rather than the server on Google Drive.

Is this to be expected?

I can understand why upload speeds are slower than download speeds when using ADSL over copper (i.e. limited bandwidth) but why is that also the case with FTTP?

20 REPLIES 20
briank
Grafter

Re: 36Mb/s FTTP upload speed

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@briank 

Are you on FTTP or FTTC? - I suspect the latter.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

I believe from previous posts @briank  was/is on the FTTP trial.

2Mb upload looks suspiciously like a 40/2 profile, although I didnt think there was any of those left?

Maybe being on the FTTP trial the profile got left as it was.

@briank have you considered recontracting to a 'proper' FTTP product now that they are available ? its likely to be considerably cheaper than the current 'out of contract' price ( and likely a faster speed )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@MisterW 

If he's on the Trial then it should be 40/10 as, from memory, only 40/10 and 80/20 were available.

If the OP upgrades to it'll have to be to 78/20 (minimum) as the 40/10 speed is no longer offered.

When I did so a couple of months back it worked out at a couple of quid less each month. If the OP has a phone service then that would be a complication.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If he's on the Trial then it should be 40/10

@bmc agreed, it 'should' be...

f the OP has a phone service then that would be a complication.

Previous posts say the phone has already been transferred to voip

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

briank
Grafter

I am indeed on the FTTP trial (no contract)

Currently paying £27.20/month broadband only.

An 18month contract would be £28.99/month.

Unless soemone can tell me otherwise, I don't really see any advantage?

I don't have a separate landline - I use Vonage VOIP which costs about £10.25/month (unless I make calls to mobiles which are charged extra).

I could run a speedcheck to confirm the current upload & download speeds.

briank
Grafter

www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk reports:-

download: 37.3Mb/s

upload: 2Mb/s

The upload speed matches that for the 700MB video file upload to Google Drive.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I thought the Full Fibre deals started at £24.99 for FF74 on a 24 month contract ?

@briank  you would also get double the download & upload speed of your existing connection

A speedtest would be useful as would sight of the details of your broadband provisioned speeds here https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband

briank
Grafter

If it's 40/10 as suggested, then surely I should be getting 9Mb/s upload speed rather than 2Mb/s?

briank
Grafter

£25.99 for a 24 month contract (see attachment)

briank
Grafter

Ok - just found the FF74 option for £24.99/month with a 24month contract. (see attached).

It looks a bit strange because it says 74Mb/s estimated download speed but underneath indicates only 40Mb/s guaranteed speed. That's hardly any faster than the 36Mb/s I already have.

The 20 Mb/s upload speed is also only an estimate.

It looks like you get a new router.

briank
Grafter

"If it's 40/10 as suggested, then surely I should be getting 9Mb/s upload speed rather than 2Mb/s?"

If a Plusnet admin reads this, perhaps he could arrange for someone to look into the current configuration?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

underneath indicates only 40Mb/s guaranteed speed

@briank @you can ignore that, it's just Openreach giving Conservative guaranteed speeds, in reality Fttp gives the provisioned speeds

You need one of the Plusnet help team to check over your connection to see why you're only getting  2Mb and to advise on the upgrade.

There's no point in calling customer services, they do t know anything about the Trial and will assume you're on fttc.

bmc
Hero

@briank 

The prices quoted appear to be the same as I was paying / am now paying. Double the speed for a couple of quid less. You get a Hub2 (for P&P) which is better for WiFi. Only thing unknown is what price you'll pay in two years time.

If you do decide to jump try and do it through the forum - the phone support staff know little if anything about the FTTP Trial and a manual adjustment needs to be made to keep the system happy.

Your immediate problem may well be a profile issue which needs a staff member to review.

Brian