cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Marketing

ecomergy
Rising Star

Re: FTTP Marketing

Thanks for that. Hoping @Gandalf can shed further light tomorrow when he gets in. Overall though, it's looking very positive Smiley 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

@ecomergy wrote:

Hey Gandalf,

I'm on the original FTTP Trial and have been for yonks. Does this mean I can finally upgrade to a faster speed? I assume I'll have to call but with the fact I already have FTTP on the original trial confuse things?

Heya, I've just checked and I'm afraid that our new FTTP service is just for residential accounts, not business. I don't know whether if or when we'll offer FTTP for business accounts outside of the legacy trial. 

For residential, you can absolutely upgrade an existing legacy FTTP trial service or just renew a contract on the equivalent Full Fibre product. Whether you can port your landline number away from us while doing so is a good question. It's not possible for those upgrading from ADSL/FTTC to FTTP, but for those already on FTTP, I've asked!

As soon as I know more, I'll post back. Sorry for the obvious disappointment though. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Gandalf wrote:

For residential, you can absolutely upgrade an existing legacy FTTP trial service or just renew a contract on the equivalent Full Fibre product. Whether you can port your landline number away from us while doing so is a good question. It's not possible for those upgrading from ADSL/FTTC to FTTP, but for those already on FTTP, I've asked!

As soon as I know more, I'll post back. 

I had raised this with the Project Team and there is good news on this front. We're ultimately wanting to eventually migrate those on the legacy FTTP trial to the new product, but there's currently no plan or process in place to do that. 

However, for the time being, if you do have FTTP as part of the legacy trial on a residential account, then I've been given the green light that you can port your landline number away from us while moving onto the new product. 

So I can figure out the best way to go about it, anyone fancy giving it a go? Smiley

[edit]

This may go without saying, but absolutely let me know before you port your number as I'll need to handhold it through.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@Gandalf 

What about a business account - is it possible to port out?

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah I see no reason why not, but they'd remain on the trial product. 

Would have to handhold things through to make sure the account doesn't close though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@Gandalf 

Thanks

@ecomergy 

No business FTTP product yet so no upgrading at the moment. However, it appears you can move your phone number to VOIP to prepare for the future. You need to work with the wizard to ensure nothing goes wrong.

Although you'll save on the line rental there is an Internet only surcharge.

Brian

ecomergy
Rising Star

@Gandalf so you're saying that business customers on the FTTP trial will be able to move over, just not yet? I've been with Plusnet for 23 years now so I'm very loyal but need to know that I can get a faster connection in the future or it will be a very reluctant move to BT.

Another option might be to convert the account from Business to Residential but I guess there might not be a process for that either?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don't know if there ever will be a plan to provide a full FTTP product for business. I completely appreciate your loyalty though! There is a process to transfer from business to residential (and vice versa) which just involves creating a new account, but we can't currently create new accounts straight onto FTTP though that will be coming. 

In the meantime, if you can get ADSL or FTTC, we could sign you up a residential account onto this, then migrate your FTTP service across, closing your business account and recontracting the new account on the new FTTP product.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@ecomergy 

Be aware, if it matters, that PlusNet no longer offer email with new accounts.

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@Gandalf wrote:

In the meantime, if you can get ADSL or FTTC, we could sign you up a residential account onto this, then migrate your FTTP service across, closing your business account and recontracting the new account on the new FTTP product.

Such would infer conspiracy to breach the residential T&Cs which prohibit business use of a residential service.

That all goes without considering the different support levels on business grade services - the lower levels on residential services might not be adequate for business needs.  Whilst the technical characteristics between residential and business are minimal, the service wrap-arounds remain significantly distinctive.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ecomergy
Rising Star

@Gandalf  @bmc 

Yes this could get messy very quickly. No FTTC here, only ADSL or FTTP. Given that, and the fact that the current landline is bundled with the business account, how would that migrate to a residential account? Would I need to take up a new copper line to put ADSL on only to have it ceased as soon as I convert to FTTP? Or would I port the number to VOIP first, cease the line, then open a new residential application for ADSL (which would require a line) to then cease it as soon as it appears? What would happen to my existing eMail and domain names?

Any thoughts?

... I'll get my coat!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

The FTTP cake is still baking...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

My thoughts.

1. Port your landline number to another provider 
  2. Setup new residential account on ADSL/FTTC
  3. Cancel the orders we’d place automatically 
  4. Change new account type to Full Fibre and apply a Full Fibre contract. We should however probably agree on an offer at the very beginning as in my opinion, there’s little point going through these steps if we can’t offer you a deal you’d want. 
  5. Connect router to the new account by changing the username in its settings or we can link the existing router if Plusnet to the new account
  6. Close business account. Email would be lost but you could transfer domains to another provider.

What do you think?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ecomergy
Rising Star

Thanks @Gandalf . I think I'll start with the domains first then (which will move the eMail as well) and get that done first. Then port the landline (which may involve some hand holding as you mentioned). Then start to make changes to the account as there will be less to 'go wrong' at that point. It's also possible by then the process might be more refined. 

(recommendations for domain & eMail hosting providers welcome) 

ecomergy
Rising Star

...And if you have some offers let me know before we start. It would be the 300, 500 or 900 packages I'm most interested in.