Finally FTTP has arrived for me

TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

Finally FTTP has arrived for me

Pre-Fibre
 SPOILER_image.png
Post-Fibre
istockphoto-1018078858-612x612.jpg

Question I have for those who have had it done, did most of you had to get some drilling and more fibre to a socket in your home first, or can they just allow it with 5m of copper? (I know there would be drop off, but with 5m it should be low yes?).

Let me know your happy stories or horror stories lol

46 REPLIES 46
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Finally FTTP has arrived for me

@TheRealDabhand When you move to a FTTP service, a new cable is run to your property, which terminates on an Optical Network Termination , which they will instal in place of your Master Socket - no copper is involved.

Under normal circumstances, this  takes around 1.1/2 hours, and then you are good to go.

Any further questions, feel free to ask.

John
TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

Thanks Jab1 for the reply, yeah I expected as such, but with the termination literally right outside my door (live in a block of flats of 3) I had hoped the small 5m of copper would be doable to get near the minimum speed at least.

jab1
Legend

So, your Master socket is outside your flat? I don't believe so - they are inside the served property, as they are 'personal' to that property.

A little more detail is required before we say more.

John
TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

No, Master Socket is inside, but there is a communal cupboard with a termination in it, then it has copper to the flats to master sockets.

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear. My bad.

jab1
Legend

OK, no problem. As you say 'FTTP is here', does that mean that BT (or some other company) have wired the block up?

John
TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

Yeah they did after 1yr after sending out letters to tenants of the flats, there is 15 in 3 blocks, I was the only one who signed the agreement. So it was a slow process to get everyone to sign one, thankfully 7 weeks ago they finished our block of 3, and were doing the other 2 blocks. Thankfully they just finished the other day, so I quickly ordered Smiley Happy that PN is allowing it, was worried I would have to pay ETF to go to BT, so was very happy to see the options listed Smiley

jab1
Legend

OK. If they have wired yup, they must have done a survey and determined how they plan to do the final installations.

As PN are just a BT 'brand' these days, there would be no reason for you to have to move.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@TheRealDabhand 

I would be interested in what the narrative (below the results window) from the following says about FTTP.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Normally forum users can offer a bit of advice about installs but we don't often see "communal" installs. I'm guessing fibre will be run to the communal cabinet and then pulled through to your flat. What will happen is the installer will speak to you on the day to explain things.

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc I'm guessing the fibre install will follow the copper run, as that is the most logical route.

John
TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

@bmc This what you wanted?

34523525.jpg

jab1
Legend

@TheRealDabhand Reading that, your properties are fed from overhead cables, and the final installation is 'complex', because you are in a multiple dwelling unit (block of flats). L2C will be the instructions the installers have to follow.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@TheRealDabhand 

Thanks for that.

As I thought it's not a straight forward install according to the information at the end of the first line. Others might be able to explain the message.

Brian

jab1
Legend

I'll see if I can find an explanation of 'L2C' - tomorrow morning, but if anyone wants to use a search engine before then, feel free.

John
TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

L2C apparently means Leads to Cash - guess it is an invoiceable install.