cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Openreach to update my address for FTTP availability or carry out an MDU install?

Phattmatt
Dabbler

How to get Openreach to update my address for FTTP availability or carry out an MDU install?

Hi All,

I feel like I've been banging my head against the wall for two years now.

I've been a Plusnet customer (FTTC) for over 10 years and I've been very happy with the service.

Two years ago FTTP was installed and made available in my street. I placed an order (my address was listed as "Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues"), on activation day the engineer was unable to install because the trees between the pole and my flat were being trimmed. He was also concerned that because my living room faced away from the pole, he would have to run the cable through to the back of my flat.

The order was cancelled, and subsequently I am unable to place FTTP orders (my address is now listed as "FTTP is not available"). I was told my address is now categorised as requiring an MDU installation. I submitted the MDU form to get the ball rolling.

Since then several of my immediate neighbours have managed to get FTTP installed overhead via a pole. With one neighbours cable run going from the front of my flat, attached all the way to the back of my flat, and then beyond. It literally goes past my flat.

• Every time I contact Plusnet (or other ISPs) I get the standard 'can't install, fill in the MDU form' response.
  • Every time I contact Openreach with a "Availability Checker Enquiry" I get the standard 'fill in the MDU' form response.
  • Every time I contact Openreach with the MDU form (which now appears closed) I get no response.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Are there any suggestions about how to get someone to actually look at the issue rather than "computer says no"?

I've tried several times of the years (multiple form submissions, multiple requests, etc), I've even tried @WeAreOpenreach on Twitter/X. All I get are 'fill in the same form again' responses.

Please help,

Thanks,

Matt

22 REPLIES 22
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: How to get Openreach to update my address for FTTP availability or carry out an MDU install?

@Phattmatt 

Use the following to see what it says about your property. You're interested in the narrative below the results window.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Have you tried the Form listed under "The Fibre Checker has wrong or missng information" on the OR website.

https://www.openreach.com/broadband-network/fibre-availability#accordion-00ebaa22dc-item-2f64a9c3ec

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Re: How to get Openreach to update my address for FTTP availability or carry out an MDU install?

@Phattmatt if its classified as an MDU then Openreach will likely need to contact the landlord. I assume that's what happens when you fill out the MDU form. Do you know if the landlord has been contacted ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Phattmatt
Dabbler

@bmc

Hi Brian,

Use the following to see what it says about your property. You're interested in the narrative below the results window.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

It is currently: "FTTP is not available." 

It was two years ago (before the order was cancelled): "Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues"

My immediate neighbours (in the same building block as me) also have 

Have you tried the Form listed under "The Fibre Checker has wrong or missng information" on the OR website.

https://www.openreach.com/broadband-network/fibre-availability#accordion-00ebaa22dc-item-2f64a9c3ec

Yes, I've tried it multiple times. The information I include is ignored and I am advised to fill in the MDU form; every time. I suspect they look up the address, see MDU, then default to a standard response.

I have also filled in the 'https://openreach.co.uk/fibreformybuilding' MDU form multiple times, but have never had a response back (neither has my landlord or the estate management company).

Phattmatt
Dabbler

@MisterW 

Hi MisterW,

@Phattmatt if its classified as an MDU then Openreach will likely need to contact the landlord. I assume that's what happens when you fill out the MDU form. Do you know if the landlord has been contacted ?

I've filled in the MDU form several times (both the original, which doesn't seem to work any more, and the new one I found); I've checked with both my Landlord and the Estate Management company, and neither have received any communications.

This one multiple times: https://openreach.co.uk/fibreformybuilding

And this one more recently: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-home/fibre-for-apartment-buildings

My neighbours have since overcome the MDU issue and had FTTP installed via overhead cables, so it is possible to provide the service without an MDU install.

The issue I'm having is for two years Openreach have failed to respond to any MDU requests and will not change my addresses classification to overhead install (like my neighbours).

Phattmatt
Dabbler

I've attached a PDF with photos showing my neighbours FTTP installs and the location of my flat in relation to it.

I "think" I've anonymised this enough, but let me know if not.

The blue line isn't directly over the cable so you can zoom in and see the actual cable slightly above it.

Annoyingly (or to be accurate, more annoyingly) the entire estate has BT branded ducting and duct covers. I suspect the install via ducting (single dwelling or MDU) would be pretty straightforward.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@Phattmatt 

What you need now is is for a member of PN staff to pick up on this. It's a pity our friendly wizard no longer frequents this board as he was redployed else where in PN.

Brian

Phattmatt
Dabbler

Thanks Brian, appreciate your attention.

Crossing my fingers here.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Phattmatt wrote:

I've attached a PDF with photos showing my neighbours FTTP installs and the location of my flat in relation to it.

... The blue line isn't directly over the cable so you can zoom in and see the actual cable slightly above it.

Impressive series of photographs Smiley   Illustrates your case really well.

Hopefully one of the PN team will see this thread (soon) and help get this sorted.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for PlusNet to respond before commenting further.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Phattmatt
Dabbler

Impressive series of photographs Smiley   Illustrates your case really well.

Hopefully one of the PN team will see this thread (soon) and help get this sorted.

Thanks 😊

Phattmatt
Dabbler

A question has been opened on my account and a new query sent to Openreach.

I'm hoping this time they look beyond the record simply saying MDU and asking me to fill the form in (again, for the 4th or 5th time).

mystreet1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Was there a way for uploading your document with you images in?

They might come back with congestion on the brick piller for the external connection.
Was a member for years, but moved from PN fttc to fttp from an AltNet. Getting 940Mb up and down. Happy to stay on here and try to help others. 
Phattmatt
Dabbler

@mystreet1 wrote:
Was there a way for uploading your document with you images in?

They might come back with congestion on the brick piller for the external connection.

Hi,

None of the Openreach forms I've filled in over the years allow for uploading documents:

Old MDU form (now closed): https://openreach.co.uk/fibreformybuilding

New MDU form: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-home/fibre-for-apartment-buildings

Availability Enquiry form: https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form

The email replies from all of those forms come from 'no-reply' addresses, so I can't even follow up with more information. This is part of the frustration, communication is abruptly cut off with no chance for a discourse.

I don't seem to be able to upload the PDF to the Plusnet Question either, so I hope they submitted the additional information I posted in this forum, otherwise Openreach is likely to just repeat the same old reply...

You may be right about the congestion. Annoyingly there is BT ducting all over the estate which has been ignored by Openreach. You can see the duct access covers in the last two photos in my PDF. The ducts exit at the front and back of the buildings and I suspect would be an excellent way to provision FTTP to the buildings at the rear.

Phattmatt
Dabbler

I also have a more detailed PDF, with overhead diagrams of the estate, and locations of poles, ducting etcetera, but it has identifying information in it. If any Plusnet staff want a copy, please message me direct.