cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing NTE5C faceplates.

OryxCallotis
Grafter

Replacing NTE5C faceplates.

Hi, moved into a new place and the BT engineer put one of those NTE5C faceplates on the master socket.

NTE5Cfront.jpg

Instead of faffing around with micro-filters, does anyone know how simple it is to fit on one of these MK4 faceplates instead (I'd much rather have separate sockets because I hardly ever use a home phone)?

VDSLMk4fittedtoNTE5C.jpg

Does the 5C faceplate just pop off and this MK4 faceplate pop on, or do I need to do some re-wiring as well? Cheers.

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/mk4btopenreachvdslsocket/

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: Replacing NTE5C faceplates.

The front just pops off. Just give it a try and you will see the test socket at the back. The front part, be it a single socket or filtered arrangement simply plugs into the test socket.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jon
Grafter

With the old style NTE5A sockets if you replaced the faceplate then you needed to re-attach the home wiring to the new faceplate which required attaching the wires using a punchdown tool.

However looking at this article https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/02/a-quick-look-at-bt-openreachs-new-nte5c-master-socket.... suggests with he new socket the home wiring is now connected to the socket rather than the faceplate making it trivial to change the faceplate without needing to connect any wiring. Looking at the teardown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD67a-ZC7VY it seems the test socket now has some extra pins on the bottom that provide the connection from the filtered faceplate back to the socket's connection to the house.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Let's not complicate the issue for the OP. The photo shows the latest type so the answer is that the front 'pops' off and the new filtered unit clips in its place. No rewiring is required.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jon
Grafter

Thanks for the clarity, you are correct that the simple answer is that the front pops off and you can replace it.

However I was initially suspicious of your answer as it didn't confirm with my experience with the NTE5A so I spent some time investigating this. By providing evidence for your answer hopefully I've saved time for other people who would have otherwise done the same investigation and provided interesting reading for other people browsing this forum.