cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Account to Housemate's Details

rharps

Moving Account to Housemate's Details

I currently rent with a housemate, and I am leaving the property but she is staying on. What's the easiest way to transfer the account to her? Should I just cancel completely and let her start fresh? I want to avoid any charges essentially! Any help gratefully received!

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Moving Account to Housemate's Details

How long have you got left on the contract? The only way to transfer the account to her is as you have said - cancel the account as it stads and let her take out a new contract, but you will not be able to avoid ETCs.

John
rharps

Thanks for this! I'm currently out of contract (but I'm still paying - am I just paying over the odds..probably?). 

jab1
Legend

OK - if you are out of contract, you are certainly paying over the odds, but it does mean you can cancel with 14 days notice. Because of the way the system works, though, expect at least 10 days downtime.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

I'm far from clear how this 10 days downtime works.

I thought that this was an anti slamming measure that only applied if the account holder is changing ISPs.

If the service is cancelled by the account holder I understood that the service could be taken over in a couple of days of the service being ceased?

As it's a move from a Plusne account to a new Plusnet account I would suggest that @rharps rings the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and discusses it with them.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If the service is cancelled that still needs the 14 days, plus a few more to start a new service. If continuity is important the housemate could just sign up for a new contract, then in 10-14 days it will be working but now in their name.

How much do you trust the housemate to do this I guess is the only slight worry.

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I'm far from clear how this 10 days downtime works.

I thought that this was an anti slamming measure that only applied if the account holder is changing ISPs.

If the service is cancelled by the account holder I understood that the service could be taken over in a couple of days of the service being ceased?

As it's a move from a Plusne account to a new Plusnet account I would suggest that @rharps rings the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and discusses it with them.

Maybe I got slightly wrong there, @Baldrick1 - thinking about it, a switch of account holders (still involving a 'cancellation' and 'provisioning' should, as you say only take two or three days - providing the accounting 'system' doesn't throw one its regular wobbles.

John