Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about product change; also bill issue

FIXED
SpicyPineapple
Dabbler

Questions about product change; also bill issue

I have some dumb questions I couldn't find the answers for elsewhere, so I'd appreciate any answers please.

If I change to the fibre without phone line package:

1. Do I need an engineer visit to install any kind of new connection to replace the line getting switched off? What replaces the line that gets switched off?
  2. Does the router plug into the same wall socket? (this is dependent on Q1 I guess)
  3. If I'm partway through a contract, do I have to pay any fees to get out of the line rental part of my contract?

In a separate issue, my bill this month is absurdly high for no apparent reason and definitely no warning. Could someone from PN please have a look and check if it's a mistake, please. This bill has prompted the above questions otherwise I'd be happy to stay as I am.

Thanks, as always, for all the help from this forum, both staff and customers 👍

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Questions about product change; also bill issue

Fix

@SpicyPineapple If you change to the SOGEA product, all changes are automatic, no engineer is required, and apart from unplugging your phone - which obviously won't work anyway, no changes to your internal set-up are required. There are no additional fees.

When does your contract end, and have you checked the breakdown of charges on page 2 of your invoice?

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SpicyPineapple
Dabbler

Thank you @jab1 for your answers. So even though the phone line is "disconnected", it is still that line that is used to provide the broadband service?

Re the bill, the line rental this month has jumped up magnificently, hence me considering making the above change in service. But I also wanted to check it's not a mistake.

edited to add: current contract ends next year

Thanks for your help Smiley

jab1
Legend

Yes, your broadband signal still travels down the same wires, it is just voice component which is disabled - don't worry about how, it is merely a 'throw a switch' action by Openreach.

Can you post screenshots of this and last months page 2 of your invoice?

John
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

@SpicyPineapple - Hi , I see that my colleague has left you a ticket about the bills if you want to take a look @  https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=237881987 . Cheers

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
SpicyPineapple
Dabbler

I'm not worried as such, just curious about how it all worked. The publicity info from PN says things like "it works without a phone line" so I wondered if they meant that literally and if I needed a new kind of line installed. But thanks for your help in getting this old lady understanding the new tech!

I've just received a ticket from PN saying I've been incorrectly charged for the past several months and I'm getting a lovely chunky refund - so thank you to whoever picked that up and fixed it at lightning speed! 😍

jab1
Legend

Don't know what publicity material you are referring to - I'm not a PN customer any more, so don't get their sometimes confusing communications, but if you are on an ADSL or FTTC product, you still need a physical phoneline for the signal to travel down.

Glad your bill issue is sorted. 😀

John
SpicyPineapple
Dabbler

@jab1 wrote:

Don't know what publicity material you are referring to -😀

I just meant on the website when it tells you about the different packages etc, and the FAQs.

jab1
Legend

OK - some of those are a little 'obtuse', but I never look at them these days anyway - they are of no interest to me as a non-customer.

John