cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Username

cbcadmin
Grafter

Username

Can anyone explain the username database to me please?

I've been with Plusnet (on and off) for many years now but each time I signup I am told my usename is taken rather than being asked to log into the account. There are only a limited number of ways you kind type a word. Wink

Surely when a contract ends the username should be freed up, if it can not be used again?

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Vodafone FTTP via THG3000 & Three via ZTE MF286D

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
19 REPLIES 19
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: Username

@cbcadmin 

You have answered your question yourself by discovering that you can’t reuse a Username.

Why not just append a number to your chosen name?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

cbcadmin
Grafter

That's what I have done, but I don't understand why I Have to. Surely it would benifit Plusnet if they could see a customer's purchase history for examole, if everything was on one account?

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

@cbcadmin wrote:
Surely it would benifit Plusnet if they could see a customer's purchase history for examole, if everything was on one account?

Unfortunately that has never been possible with Plusnet - at times I've had up to 3 broadband accounts and 4 mobile accounts at the same time. Each one has been separate, with different usernames and logins (and direct debits) - unlike other companies where I've had multiple products all managed under one account (and one direct debit).

I suspect this is due to the way Plusnet has historically added products by buying other companies - and inheriting separate billing systems. Plusnet's attempts at improving their billing system in the past have been disastrous. On that front I expect things to improve over the next few years as they get rid of all products except broadband.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Or a more recent practical reason may be adherence to GDPR regulations or whatever they may be called ..

cbcadmin
Grafter

I undestand it has (up to now) not been possible, just wondered why as the pros would seem to outweigh any cons, but not knowing any details, I am just guessing. Good point about the take overs, but surely they should have control over their own systems, if not ones they have taken over? All just seems very odd to me. They seem to make things more difficult for everyone; including themselves.

cbcadmin
Grafter

Don't get me started on that bunny! Companies just throw that at customers, but are quick enough to ignore/go round it if it is to their benefit.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

GDPR has absolutely nothing to do with it. GDPR protects certain information relating to living individuals from unauthorised release - in no way does it force a company to use separate accounts for each product they sell to one person, nor does it prevent the reuse of a username, especially by the same person.

The restrictions are purely to do with Plusnet's billing systems and policy.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@cbcadmin wrote:
...but surely they should have control over their own systems, if not ones they have taken over?

They do, but developing or amending systems takes money (you need to pay enough competent staff, or outsource the work to a competent 3rd party). Plusnet choose not to spend the necessary money.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

@corringham, GDPR could certainly be involved here.  It dictates that personal information should not be kept any longer than it is necessary for the purpose that it was collected.  There may well be other laws in place that will dictate how long any data collected is "necessary", but ultimately there will become a point when it isn't and should be deleted.

Plusnets stance has always been for a long time that they won't allow the reuse of usernames.  I don't know if Data Protection laws (either current or in the previous) have any bearing on management decisions that have been made at any point, but GDPR is definitely a lot more than just the unauthorised release of individuals data.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cbcadmin
Grafter

But surely if the system identifies a username as in use then data is being kept for "longer than necessary" ? Maybe the answer is submit a SADR and see if the username really is in use? Wink

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Not necessarily.  Knowing a username is unavailable for use, and storing personal data about an individual can be two total separate things.  If they did still keep all the personal data for all of the customers who have ever had an account/username would make it easier for them to reuse usernames if they so wished (for the same user) as they would be able to match on that.

I'm guessing you mean a DSAR, which is a Data Subject Access Request?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cbcadmin
Grafter

Yes a Subject Access Data Request, but they do love to abbreviate things. :) Well there appears to be no problem with reusing a username on here which is on the same domain, although obviously maybe just a symlink.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I don't know if you can reuse a username on here or not.  I'd suspect not.  If you mean you can log on with a previous account that hasn't been removed, then yes you can.  You don't need to be a customer to sign up to an account on here.  What constitutes how long is reasonable to keep data would be very different between an account you (largely) only get by being a paying customer on one system vs a free account that pretty much anyone could sign up for and keep as long as they wanted.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Just FYI @cbcadmin . There is no 'personal data' associated with usernames on the forums (except the email address used to register), and in your case, the account has been 'live' since 14.02.2012. However, if as I did, you try to register with a username already 'in use' - even if that user has been long gone, you will get a 'this username is already in use, please try another one' message.

John