cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What data does Plusnet retain?

ora8i
Dabbler

What data does Plusnet retain?

What data dose Plusnet and associates retain and for how long?

Particularly:-

Data about searches.

Data about sites visited.

Data about other web use for example IRC chats, Skype, Discord, FTP, Streaming and so on.

Regards  aamcle

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: What data does Plusnet retain?

@ora8i  Welcome to the forum 

So far as I’m aware they only keep data that they are legally obliged to, and would only release it to the authorities if requested.

Out of interest, why do you ask?

John
ora8i
Dabbler

I watched a video about a KeyWord Search Warrant executed on Google, billions of users had their data rummaged through.  Unless 'they' have a bee  in their bonnet about 3d printing or homebrewing there is little of interest in my history.

I'm confident you seen reports of issues were a 16 year old post was dug up to emmbarras some celeb, things change all the time.  

For example a public hero in NewYork state is trying to get a law passed requiring background checks, fingerprints the lot, before you can buy a printer.  It's a silly example of change and not in the uk, but maybe homebrew becomes the new public enemy and anyone associated looses credits like the Chinese system. 

Things are good now who knows if they will stay good?

As a principal it's much better if others do not know your business.

Not that it can be totally avoided but I'd like to know what is retained.

Atb.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

I admit I don’t have the full answer to that, but you seem to be looking at the USA there - UK data protection laws are somewhat stricter. It would be easier to ask Plusnet, but I suspect they would be a little circumspect - they too have rules they have to follow.

John
ora8i
Dabbler

Errr....... well Mmmmm......

Google Bard had all the answers, they store data for 12-18 months unless the Gov have involved themselves. But it's not very transparent and who knows when they actually overwrite the data?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Moderator's note:
Topic moved from Broadband to My Account/Billing

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"UK data protection laws are somewhat stricter"

Just keep an eye on politicians. I don't really like to inroduce the "brexit" but there are attempts to weaken legislation.

What data does PN retain (or have to retain)? My response. That which is required by active legislation. Some of which may over-rule other bits of legislation.

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

In practical terms there are both limits on what any ISP can see, there are restrictions posed by data protection legislation plus there are practical storage limits that make retaining anything other than simple logs for every user prohibitively costly.

If you don't use a VPN then an ISP will know the sites you've visited, but that's about it.  What you do on those sites, and the data you choose to exchange with them, is most likely not something any ISP can collect with any degree of accuracy, I believe.

If you're worried about privacy then using a VPN will provide an additional layer of protection, and pretty much hide everything you do on the internet, up to a point.  It will certainly make an ISPs records of minimal use to anyone wanting to trace what you have been doing.

Most people get into hot water for internet activities because they've paid for something dodgy using a traceable payment mechanism, they've posted something embarrassing/unlawful on social media (that is retained forever on the Wayback Machine), or they have been deliberately doing something online that's unlawful and they haven't understood how to hide their tracks. 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88