cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in broadband activation

peppy0815

Delay in broadband activation

I signed up with PlusNet on September 26 and got my phone line activated on September 29. I was told that after which, I would get my broadband activated maximum 5-7 days after the phone line is activated but I was sent an e-mail that it would be on October 13. This is almost 3 weeks after I first signed up! Is there any way I can push this back? I have been struggling with mobile data and will not be able to work because of this slow set up.

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Delay in broadband activation

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

I was told that after which, I would get my broadband activated maximum 5-7 days after the phone line is activated but I was sent an e-mail that it would be on October 13.

Activating the phone line usually can be done remotely, whereas broadband requires an engineer(Openreach) to actually go to the exchange or street cabinet. The 5-7 days (and its not clear that it means working days!) is the normal expected time for that to happen. However, it does depend on availability of Openreach engineers in your area and what with strikes and unplanned bank holidays recently, there are often delays in availability. In reality Oct 13 is only 10 working days from the 29th.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peppy0815

While 10 working days seems to not be a stretch, that means 3 total weeks of not having wifi after just moving into the country for work. I have called PlusNet twice already regarding the matter. The first person told me that broadband will be activated 24-48 hours after my phoneline was activated. The second person told me it will take until Oct 6-7. These both seemed reasonable given what I was told when I signed up.

But October 13 is just an insanely long time, given the fact that the previous tenant was a PlusNet user and that they already charged me for my first month. Would it not be just an easy re-activation of the previous tenant’s line?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

given the fact that the previous tenant was a PlusNet user

I'm afraid that makes no difference to the work required by the engineer.

and that they already charged me for my first month.

You won't actually pay for the broadband until it's activated. Since your billing starts from when the phoen was activated, you will get a credit on the next bill for the time broadband wasnt available. Don't get excited though, I'm afarid it wont be a lot! Due to the fact that any discounts are applied to the broadband component of the product, any broadband charge is quite a small part of the overall cost and so the credit is likewise

Would it not be just an easy re-activation of the previous tenant’s line? 

You would think so, but no, it still needs an engineer to physically go to the exchange (or street cabinet in the case of Fibre(FTTC) )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

Hi peppy0815, 

I'm sorry to see that we haven't been able to arrange anything sooner than the 13th, having checked the order I can see this was the soonest available date due to engineer availability. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team