cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting things that ‘need’ 2.5Ghz.

CaseSensitive
Dabbler

Connecting things that ‘need’ 2.5Ghz.

I have a WiFi light bulb (amongst other things) that will only work with 2.5Ghz.
To connect it to my PlusNet WiFi - Do I simply, temporarily, turn off 5Ghz in the Control Panel. 
Everything we have (mostly Apple) are using 5Ghz. Everything ‘solid’ is Ethernet. 
It’s not going to ‘[-Censored-] up’ my WiFi???

thanks

SGC 

Happy New Year etc..

“quotes “r” us”

4 REPLIES 4
ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

Re: Connecting things that ‘need’ 2.5Ghz.

Hi @CaseSensitive What router is it that you have please? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@CaseSensitive 

If the bulb is properly designed you should not need to switch off the 5GHz band to connect it.

Either way, turning it off for a bit will not upset anything else. Dual band devices will probably just switch to the 2.4 GHz band. If they don’t revert to the 5GHz band when it comes back on then simply switch the device off for 10 seconds. When you switch back on they will pick up the best band automatically.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

CaseSensitive
Dabbler

Hi. 
sorry. Thought the PlusNet WiFi reference would suffice. PlusNet Hub 2. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 166

There are a good number of Plusnet routers in use each having different WiFi capabilities. Thus such imprecise references creates ambiguity, possibly leading to the offer of inappropriate advice.

However as @Baldrick1 suggests, the bulb should connect successfully without needing to do anything to the 5GHz configuration.

Given that you are asking the question, would it be correct to infer that you have tried to connect it and been unsuccessful? There is the remote possibility that the light is designed to use an old mode of 2.4GHz WiFi which might require changes to the 2.4GHz configuration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.