Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP requests constantly causing latency issues

TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

DHCP requests constantly causing latency issues

Hi guys,

Hoping someone may have some words of wisdom, using the 2nd hub, now and again this will appear in the logs

10:09:44, 11 Jun.
5G Client associate from cc:47:40: (IP=192.168.1.192) RSSI=-70, Rate=702Mbps, host DESKTOP-FSI****
Lan IPv6 Neighbour Discovery events: NEIGHBOR_SOLICIT
Receive a DHCP request
10:09:34, 11 Jun.
5G Client associate from cc:47:40: (IP=192.168.1.192) RSSI=-71, Rate=780Mbps, host DESKTOP-FSI****
10:09:33, 11 Jun.
10:09:33, 11 Jun.
Receive a DHCP request
10:08:56, 11 Jun.
5G Client associate from cc:47:40: (IP=192.168.1.192) RSSI=-69, Rate=780Mbps, host DESKTOP-FSI****
10:08:56, 11 Jun.
10:08:55, 11 Jun.
Receive a DHCP request

*I cut the host and mac addresses short*

This can last from minutes to a longer time, which can cause latency problems in games - at the moment playing Wuthering Waves and enjoying it until I see pings of 600ms+ then I know this is happening. And it also affects streaming services too.

Does anyone know of a setting in the hub that stops this from happening? That would be amazing appreciative. Don't want to bother with the tech side of Plusnet support, once they thought a high noise margin of 6.6-6.8 was fine to not send an engineer out because my download speeds were fine despite the fact the service was brutal to do anything on it, so will refer to some knowledgeable people on here first Smiley

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: DHCP requests constantly causing latency issues

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to My Router 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@TheRealDabhand welcome to the forum.

The Hub will receive DHCP requests regularly from connected devices but usually every 12 hours regardless of the lease period.

It would be preferred to maybe use a wired connection, but this may be not possible for you. 

It might be worth changing the network connection on the PC from DHCP to manual. use an IP address below 192.168.1.64

The settings required would be something like

Screenshot 2024-06-12 074109.png

This would stop the PC making DHCP requests

HTH

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

but surely the DHCP requests are just the consequence of the device constantly reconnecting to wifi. That's the real problem!

5G Client associate from cc:47:40: (IP=192.168.1.192) RSSI=-70, Rate=702Mbps, host DESKTOP-FSI****

although I don't see any disassociate logs ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@MisterW 

I see you point, I was interested to see if using a static IP address on the PC would help.

@TheRealDabhand 

Can you post an extract of the Wifi event log that corresponds to the period on your first post?

Advanced settings >Technical log >Event log >Category WiFi

It could also be that you are getting interference for an adjacent 5GHz wireless signal, perhaps try a different channel for 5Ghz

Advanced settings >Wireless > 5GHz manually set the channel to something else.

TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

Hi sorry for the late reply, I didn't get notifications someone posted.

Most of the day has been ok, but from 8am-ish to 9:18am constantly reconnecting every 40-50 seconds.

I will try another channel and see how that goes, seems I have a few available at my disposal, wired is a no go - my room is about 10m away and my mother who lives here has COPD and would be a tripping hazard, I am sure via RJ45 it will be fine.

Again will try other channel and let you know. If same again I will post logs.

TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

So did a few days worth of testing on different channels, IPv4 setups, seems left automatically to the router I will keep getting kicked off, but with manual settings it remains consistently connected without any problems. Guess I will remain in manual mode for now, still pretty annoying the router just routinely knocks me off for a brief second or two at times usually when I am using downstream as intended to download something or play/stream anything.

BT are finally getting FTTP into the area, after lazy neighbours couldn't be bothered to send an email to say they approved of it being done over a year ago.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

DHCP renewal requests are issued at around 50% of the lease time IIRC. (I've tested this by playing around with DHCP lease times)

Default lease time on the Hub2 is 24 hours. Shorten that lease time and the renewals requests become more frequent.