Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 and its USB port

tomp2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hub 2 and its USB port

I’ve just switched from an elderly (2010) Apple iMac and an ethernet-based broadband/wifi system, to a new set-up on full fibre using a new MacBook Pro and Plusnet’s Hub 2. 

I’m definitely not a skilled user of these things, but set-up has all gone well, apart from one issue:

My previous outfit used a long out of date, early-model Airport Extreme box, into which one of my two home printers was plugged by USB cable. This gave me wireless printing capability from home eg using iPhone and iPad.

I am told that there is no way to replicate my old setup using the Hub 2, but given the improved speed etc I’m getting, I don’t want to do that anyway. My question is a simple one: can I plug a bog-standard HP 2540 inkjet printer into the USB port on the Hub 2 and use the printer as an Airprint home network printer? I’ve not been able to find any useful information about what that Hub 2 USB port can and can’t do.

Thanks.

Tom

12 REPLIES 12
nedjohn
Hooked

Re: Hub 2 and its USB port

@tomp2 HP2540 has WiFi, so can connect wirelessly to the hub.  You shouldn’t need a usb port.

Then, anything else connected to the hub can print to it.  Should auto-connect if WPS switched on printer and router, but there is an iOS driver on HP if not.

tomp2
Dabbler

Thanks. I didn’t need to press the WPS button on the router during set up, so I’m not sure what effect it has. I’m really not sure what I need to do at the printer end of things. Anything I’ve read while preparing for this switchover has assumed a level of familiarity with these issues than I have.

If I do manage to get the HP printer sorted, could I use the USB port for my other printer, which is a Canon iP7250?

Cheers.

Tom

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@tomp2 Have either of these printers been wirelessly connected to any other modem/router? If so, they will need factory resetting before attempting to connect them to the Hb2.

The WPS button is  not used during initial router set up, it merely provides a means of easily wirelessly connecting things like printers &c to the network.

John
nedjohn
Hooked

@tomp2 
WiFi printers, scanners, TVs can self-connect to routers.  They usually have a button marked as WPS and a flashing light when in connect-mode.  You can’t enter the router passcode via a printer, so they need to use a different mechanism to make a secure connection.

Computers, phones, tablets don’t generally use the WPS route, as you can type in the passcode when connecting.

I believe you would need a print server to run a printer from the USB Port.  Such as the ones in the link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Print-Servers/b?ie=UTF8&node=430577031 

don’t know if I’d spend money at an old printer though.

Alternatively, a PC/Mac could be the print server, with the printer plugged into one of its USB ports, but would need to be ‘on’ for other devices on the network to print through, such as a mobile phone.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@tomp2 

The Hub Two does not support printers connected to the USB port. The port is intended for USB memory sticks only.

nedjohn
Hooked

read too fast sorry @tomp2   IP7250 is Wi-Fi,  so no USB print server required.

To WPS in link, see attached 

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/ip7250_pri... 

Factory reset is in there too, as per @jab1 advice

tomp2
Dabbler

Thanks. I didn't need to do this, at least, not with the HP Printer.

I have solved the issue by deleting and reinstalling the "HP Smart" utility on my MacBook, and using this to sign on to my new network. It then picked up the Deskjet 2450 straight away. I can print to it from the MacBook, and from my iPhone and iPad. For the moment, that is going to get me by. I will look at the issues with the big Canon iP7250 shortly.

Thank you for your interest and reply.

Tom

tomp2
Dabbler

Thanks. I sorted the issue quite simply in the end, at least for the HP Deskjet. As much out of desperation as anything else, I deleted the HP Smart utility which had transferred over to the MacBook from my old Mac when I was doing the MacBook setup, and then reinstalled it from fresh. This quickly picked up the printer, allowed me to add it to the network, and it now prints from the Mac, my iPhone and iPad.

I'll have a go at the Canon iP7250 a bit later. It's nearly out of ink and I can't afford a set of cartridges for it at the moment!

Thanks for your interest and helpful suggestions.

Tom 

tomp2
Dabbler

Thanks. It's such a pity that simple comments like that don't seem to appear anywhere in the supporting documentation for the Hub 2.

Cheers,

Tom

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@tomp2 No ISP can support your peripherals (printer/phone/W.H.Y) their connection instructions/requirements are not universal - you have to use the instructions specific to the equipment, which are included in the documentation.

John
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@tomp2
Do you still have that old AirPort Extreme box? It might be possible to connect it to the new hub 2, with some changes in the configuration and plug in the printer much like you had before.
That's RPM to you!!
tomp2
Dabbler

Thanks. If you read the thread, you'll see that I've now been able to solve the problem by deleting and reinstalling the HP utility that came across with the backed up contents of my old Mac. It was probably holding some redundant details somewhere. Once reinstalled, I just followed the instructions to set up a new printer and it worked first time.

I've left the Canon printer for another day - probably going to try and link it via WPS. However, I've found that I need a set of new ink cartridges for it, and can't afford them at the moment.

I still have the AirPort Extreme (and a pair of AirPort Express extenders too), if you ever hear of anyone who might want to make use of them.

Tom