Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding apparently not working on Hub2

FIXED
stuartb3502
Dabbler

Port forwarding apparently not working on Hub2

I recently moved back to Plusnet and got a Hub 2.  I've set up my port forwarding rules which I have had on several routers including BT Homehubs used on BT and Plusnet in the past.

They're not working. 

I am mapping external port to the same internal port number and most of the rules point to the same local IP (a network attached storage device).

I can connect using the local IP address and port number to the various services.  If I use the external IP, this does not work and external port checking sites report the ports as closed. 

80 and 443 are working.  Firewall is set to "Default".

Anyone experienced similar or able to report that they have port forwarding working OK on the Hub 2?  

Thought I'd check if this is a known issue (tried searching first).  If not, I guess I can try the Homehub to see out if it's an issue with this Hub2.

Thanks,

Stuart

3 REPLIES 3
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: Port forwarding apparently not working on Hub2

Fix

@stuartb3502 

I have no issues with any port forward rules on the Hub two I use.

Have you checked the >Advanced Settings >Technical Log > Event log for connection attempts?

They will be in this format

hh.mm.ss.  dd mmm. FWL Port Forward Server(destination IP Address) <TCP or UDP> <incoming port> accepted a new connection from <source IP Address>

Here is an example using UDP

16:15:00, 12 Jun  FWL Port Forward Server(192.168.10.252) UDP 53262 accepted a new connection from 85.255.235.53

Most port checkers can only test TCP ports for UDP try https://www.ipfingerprints.com/portscan.php use the advanced setting.

Remember the device the port forward rule points to has to be active and listening for incoming connections to report the port is open.

stuartb3502
Dabbler

Thanks Dan - very helpful.  I'm seeing some of the attempts and some saying successful so I need to look elsewhere to see what could be blocking.  

Thanks

paul_blitz
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If the devices you are trying to connect to are Windows, then the Windows internal (software) firewall has different rules for "local connections" and "public connections", so you may need to tweeak those settings.

(Hopefully the software installers will add the needed rules... if you use a different firewall (eg Norton / McAfee) then you need to set up rules in there.)