Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bt smart hub and disc on plusnet

FIXED
Seanbont
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks John I unplugged the cable before I entered the username/password. I then clicked save and a page came up that seemed to suggest I plugged the cable back in and then click yes. Which is what I did.
The hub then restarted. Went green but then went orange and after ten minutes nothing.
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but everyone else seems to fly through this process but I'm getting stuck at this stage.
34 REPLIES 34
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@Seanbont Sorry, your original post seemed to suggest otherwise. As I have never used the BT Hub, only going on information which I assume you also did, I'm going to tag @Baldrick1 , who is the expert on this. Hopefully, he can guide you.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Seanbont 

To clarify, the process for configuring a BT SH2 to work on Plusnet is, (as I recall from doing it myself a couple of years ago):

1.) Disconnect the SH2 from the phone line.

2.) Log in to the hub and change the Username and Password. (NB: ensure you are changing the Broadband Username + Password, not the Hub's Admin ones).

3.) Save the new settings.

4.) At this point I re-powered the hub, and when it had completely restarted I logged back in to confirm that the new User and Password were set. (This should not be necessary, but is a useful confirmation).

5.) Only now reconnect the SH2 to the telephone line and wait for the lights to change colour.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Seanbont 

The important thing is that there must be no connection to the Internet whilst you enter the Plusnet credentials so make sure by removing the DSL lead from the BT master socket whilst you enter and save them. You should be able to switch off the mains once they are saved and for them to be retained when you switch it back on. You should then be able to reconnect the DSL lead and get on line.

Moderator’s Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Seanbont
Dabbler

Thanks Baldrick

I unplugged the dsl cable that runs from the modem. Reset the bt smart hub. It went green then purple.
I went into advanced settings. Changed the user name to my plusnet username with @plusdsl.net after it and the password to the same password I use to access my plusnet account. Clicked save.
A screen came up about 4th port cables. Clicked yes and it said restarting hub.
I waited for it to cycle through to flashing purple and I plugged the dsl cable in.
It then went orange and when I checked settings it was pointing towards bt again.
Sorry to spell out this in such detail but I'm obviously missing something critical and I can't think what that might be. If you can see my mistake please tell me.

Thanks
Sean
Baldrick1

@Seanbont 

Modem? If you still have an Openreach modem in circuit then remove it, it’s no longer needed. The Smarthub DSL input should be connected directly to the BT master socket.

Also I assume that you are adding @plusdsl.net to your username?

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Seanbont 

To add to my last post, if you left a modem in circuit whilst you set up the Smarthub then that will be your problem.  The Smarthub has a built in modem, hence this is not needed.

When setting up a Smarthub to work on the Plusnet service it is necessary to drop the DSL connection. Leaving a modem in circuit would keep it live.

Moderator and Customer

Seanbont
Dabbler

Apologies my last post was probably unhelpful.
The service is fttp. The cable to the hub runs from port 1 on the open reach box. It's tagged as modem/router
The cable runs to the port on the back of the hub marked wan.
This is what I unplugged.
I can try again and turn off the power to the open reach box if you think that would work.
Seanbont
Dabbler

Yes I have been adding plusdsl.net to my name, copying exactly what is listed in the letter I received from plus net.

I put a picture of the open reach box in a public gallery if that helps explain it better than I can.

https://community.plus.net/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/123668/album-id/40630/image-id/43748iBA898B1...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

@Baldrick1 do we have any experience of anyone with a BT SMart Hub working on Plusnet FTTP ?

I dont see why it SHOULDNT work as long as (as you say) the cable is unplugged whilst changing the login details, so that there is no internet connection possible.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@Seanbont 

I understand now, this box is called the ONT (Optical Network Terminator). This is the first time that I have come across using this set up so please advise how you get on.

The first thing to try, as intimated earlier:

1. Disconnect the hub from the ONT

2. Enter your Plusnet credentials

3. Save

4. Switch off the hub and leave it for say half a minute.

5. Switch it back on

6. Check that your Plusnet credentials are still saved.

If settings have reverted to BT ones then you re doing something wrong with the settings.

Having got that far you need to drop the DSL connection. Now I am working beyond my experience.Things that I would try:

Plug in the working hub, presumably a Plusnet Hub 2? Navigate to the Advanced Settings/Broadband page. select 'Disconnect' at the top of the page and wait for it to disconnect, the will hopefully change to 'Connect'. Once disconnected, leaving it in that state swap to the Smarthub. Once it has booted navigate back to the same Advanced Settings/Broadbandpage and select  'Connect'.

If that fails try switching off the power to the ONT before plugging in the Smarthub.

Do help others by reporting back.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@MisterW 

No never. Our posts have crossed.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

@bobpullen before we beat our heads against a brick wall here, are you aware of any reason why the FTTP variant of the BT Smart Hub 2 will not accept a PN username ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

Re: Bt smart hub and disc on plusne

@MisterW 

I don’t know about the Smarthub 2 but the FTTP versions of the original Smarthub work fine on FTTC. I have used both an original ‘Ultrafast’ one and a business FTTP Smarthub without issues.

I am unfamiliar with the Smarthub 2 but I think that I have read, but could be wrong, that the Smarthub 2 firmware allows a port to be configured as either the WAN input or LAN 4. Whether the current firmware shuts down the ability to reconfigure for Plusnet?

It will be interesting to hear from @Seanbont 

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: Bt smart hub and disc on plusne

@MisterW 

Maybe an extract from the event log would be helpful here, it should be possible to export the complete log as a CSV file.