cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sensitivity of HUB 2

richardg8jvm
Grafter

sensitivity of HUB 2

I've just renewed my contract and was offered a Hub2  with the postage cost. I have read the the posts Hub1 vs Hub2, and dropping to 3 ports from 4 means I will have to buy another switch, I already have 2.

Is the 2.4 GHz sensitivity of Hub2 better than Hub1, ?Huh

I have a Solar PV inverter in the garage with a 2.4 GHz wifi link, with the signal going thru a thick brick wall the signal level in the vicinity of the router is around -80dbm, and a another 2.4GHz device sending realtime power usage in the garage , so the position of the router is a bit critical for these devices, I have 14 devices on 2.4GHz, 4 devices on 5GHz, and  7 on ethernet, there are a few more that are not on 24/7,

My ideal router would have 4 ethernet ports, and have the ability of using 2 different subnets on different channels on the LAN, and have access to the routing table. but I might settle for a router that works well with weaker signals.

Richard

5 REPLIES 5
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: sensitivity of HUB 2

@richardg8jvm 

It is worth knowing you can not spilt the wireless name on the Hub Two, which might be an issue for you.

I personally have not had range issues with the Hub Two but others have.

My ideal router would have 4 ethernet ports, and have the ability of using 2 different subnets on different channels on the LAN, and have access to the routing table. but I might settle for a router that works well with weaker signals.

Like the Hub One the Two does not offer different subnets for each channel, you'd need to look at a third party router.

Having saying that, the Hub Two can be configured as a modem (bridge mode) so you could buy a Router only device more suitable for your needs. 

EDIT: if your are Full Fibre then ignore my comment regarding modem mode as that would not be required as the ONT is effectively a modem.

richardg8jvm
Grafter

thanks Dan

I suspect that I might as well stay with Hub1, I am on Full Fibre here.

I do have a Vonets VAP11G, eth to wifi adaptor, which I suspect I can put on a different channel which would reduce the 2.4 GHz load on the Hub1

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

I suspect that I might as well stay with Hub1, I am on Full Fibre here

The Hub 1 has an upstream bandwidth limitation of around 30Mb, so its not good for the higher speed FF products.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

richardg8jvm
Grafter

hi

So far I've managed with a lower uplink speed, the down link speed is more important to me .

I'll stay with Hub1 until it fails.

thanks fro the reply

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'