cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A connected world - good or bad?

I'm currently sat in the Algarve nursing a hangover (one too many caprihina's last night) on a wi-fi connected laptop about 12ft from my front door - overlooking the sea. I have access to exactly the same digital world as if I were at home or at the office. I can SSH onto any server I normally have access to by logging onto a single secure Linux server based back home. I still get access to email via webmail. I'm talking to friends and family through IM. I've got access to all of my favourite web sites through bookmarking sites like del.icio.us I can even watch my favourite TV programmes from my Sky or Freeview box back home through my Slingbox. Although strangely enough i've not managed to watch more than 5 mins of TV through it as the lure of the beach and those caprihina's are just too much :-) I have however been listening to my favourite music through Pandora - the radio stations here a not quite to my liking. When I eventually walk onto the beach and loose my Wi-Fi connection I have a Palm Treo 750v to keep in touch with the outside world. Its got GPRS, Email, Web Browser, Telnet etc.. The world is now so connected that it seems as though we can do just about anything from anywhere. Which begs the question. When we are this connected - how is one supposed to disconnect and have a holiday? Me - I'm going to do it the old fashioned way and turn them all off and leave them behind from now on. :-) Regards Dean

0 Thanks
1 Comment
1 Comment