cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jane's Appeal End to End Challenge - Day 8

Thursday 17th July, Edinburgh to Hawick 51 miles I knew today was going to be a difficult day because every time I left my table for breakfast a group of Italians would sit at it, casually disregarding all my belongings. Fortunately once my grumpy face appeared, so they disappeared. Frequently during our journey through Scotland we have been asked how we are finding the weather. The answer is simple, “F****ing miserable.” Actually, until today it had been reasonable. For September. This morning we were treated to a lashing of rain which was unfortunate as we suffered our first puncture half way up a hill on the busy A7 leaving Edinburgh. Already drenched each passing lorry helped us further. The puncture was self-inflicted and the recipient the winner of today’s virtual monkey. Mick, despite being the strongest cyclist in the group, has spent the whole 400 miles drafting each one of us. He may well have just attached a tow- rope to Becca’s bike and got a free lift down. But yesterday justice was delivered when following closely behind Becca on the Forth Road Bridge. She swerved to avoid an electric box which Mick subsequently careered into. Mick’s loss was our loss. Not only damaging the inner tube he destroyed the tyre. Last night’s late finish meant Mick’s puncture was not spotted until this morning. It also happened on a day when our support vehicle was getting its brakes changed and as a consequence we spent three hours cycling nowhere stuck in the Scottish Borders with a watering can above our heads. Today’s simple 51 mile journey turned into a marathon we could have run it faster ( well Becca could). There has been little teamwork when cycling as the drafting has got so bad that at various points like track cyclists we have slowed to almost a standstill with the person most likely to fall off being forced into the front position. It’s all very childish and dangerous as we weave across the road. We are thinking of this being our own fuel protest as we cross central London next Friday.

0 Thanks
0 Comments
This widget could not be displayed.