Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit Card Con by Plus net

nadger
Rising Star

Re: Debit Card Con by Plus net

Quote from: Strat
I'm sure Talk Talk will be happy to solve your dilemma..
Unfortunately they can't  Cry Cry
TalkTalk customers are required to pay by direct debit
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: nadger
Quote from: Strat
I'm sure Talk Talk will be happy to solve your dilemma..
Unfortunately they can't  Cry Cry
TalkTalk customers are required to pay by direct debit

Ahhh....shame Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

and i wont be dictated to on how i pay

Surely paying a monthly fee by debit card (if there were no extra charges) would be no different to paying by direct debit from the same account.
It's worth bearing in mind that the direct debit guarantee gives you increased protection as well.
it's not a con, unfortunately changes to how we bill to our products and services have and will happen from time to time.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
thisoldman
Grafter

adam walker: please see my post under good bad ugly.  Lloyds bank assured me the proposed fee was extortionate and that I have a choice of how I want to pay.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

Lloyds bank assured me the proposed fee was extortionate

I'm not wishing to confront that but it is a matter of their opinion I'm afraid, it's up to yourself how you want to deal with this and I have given advice on the matter.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nadger
Rising Star

When I was looking at TalkTalk's T&Cs I see that they can also charge £10 for a failed DD.

john50
Grafter

And I'm sure they will...............3 times over at least, you think Plusnet have billing problems  Wink
dick:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Quote from: thisoldman
I know i could avoid charges by setting up a dd but my argument is why should I allow people to dictate to me thru balckmail methods.

Processing card payments costs significantly more than taking a payment via Direct Debit. The failure rate of transactions processed using card is also ten times that of Direct Debit. Also worth considering is the fact that we haven't increased the price of your broadband despite VAT rising by 2.5% in January.
As you've said yourself, it's easy enough to set up a Direct Debit to avoid having to pay this surcharge.
IV bought the plusnet dubious story about low/high cost areas yet in thuis high cost area where i live no other isp charges their customers extra so why does plus net. Im also told by an accountant that the extra charge levied by plus net on high cost area clients is excessive,inrelation to what bt charge plus net.

Why's it a dubious story? You'll find plenty of information to support the claim on Ofcom's website. The accountant you spoke to undoubtedly knows very little about the Wholesale broadband market. The cost we charge in low/high cost areas is in direct correlation to what we get charged by BT Wholesale. You're right that other ISPs don't use this charging model which is their choice. The price differential doesn't apply to LLU networks either, only ISPs who  use BT Wholesale.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

thisoldman
Grafter

bob: i considered the processing fee to be extortionate. Nobody else i deal with has ever charged 1.50. I asked my bank for their advice and they said   a)  in our opinion it is excessive
                   b) you can chose your payment method and if people dont like it you can go elsewhere
                     c) you could to save the hassle elect for a dd method.

the 1,50 is not , for me a life challenging sum : it was the principle of the thing and the implied consequences.
As to the low cost/high cost pricing, as you have said no other isp  has this model.  enough said.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

bob: i considered the processing fee to be extortionate.

Sorry to hear that but I'm afraid it's unlikely to change the situation.
Nobody else i deal with has ever charged 1.50. I asked my bank for their advice and they said   a)  in our opinion it is excessive

In your bank's opinion that might well be the case.
b) you can chose your payment method and if people dont like it you can go elsewhere

Yes you can choose your payment method, but if that method is card then you'll soon be charged for the privilege. Of course, it's entirely your choice if you choose to move to another ISP.
c) you could to save the hassle elect for a dd method.

Seems to be the most sensible thing to do given the circumstances.
As to the low cost/high cost pricing, as you have said no other isp  has this model.  enough said.

Yes, we choose to pass the saving onto customers, other ISPs don't.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

xpcomputers
Grafter

Try buying airline ticket on a credit card... I think they were going to charge me about  £70 in credit card processing fees (straight 5% percentage of the total £1400 air fare).
Credit card fees charged by the processors can be crippling for very small businesses. At the bottom end (very small businesses), credit card fees are typically £20 per month for the merchant account (plus other monthly charges and rental fees for equipment - plus one off setup charges potentially totalling £500).
Then for credit cards they also get charged 25p per transaction plus 5% of the cost of the transaction. Debit card fees are regularly a straight 45p per transaction no percentage (so can actually cost more in fees than a credit card for smaller transactions).
OK, so bigger businesses get better rates than these, but there is clearly no restriction on credit card fees, otherwise I wouldn't have been quoted £70 fees for my airfare! So whoever told you that was misleading you.
Many suppliers will charge you a credit card fee (or more to the point, will charge you for any transaction that isn't a direct debit). Some places don't charge for electron transactions, but do for debit & credit cards.
Tesco, on the other hand, would let me buy a 20p item on my debit card which probably costs them more in fees than they charged me, so are effectively giving me the item for free, once they've paid their fees, but they don't breakdown the cost, so it isn't directly attributed to my sale. As margins get cut though, I'd expect to see more places start to separate out fees so that the consumer has a choice of whether to use credit cards or not.
The other give-away on how beneficial it is to credit card companies to have you use their cards, is that there are companies who'll give you 1% cashback on every purchase you make on the card. They are making enough money to cover this perk, and all other operating costs and still make a profit! This is all at the expense of the businesses doing the selling (normally), since they are often the ones to absorb the cost.
Of course, nothing is free, so whilst it isn't itemised as a fee we are paying, everyone who uses a credit card is being subsidised by those who don't because the company absorb it by keeping the profit margins high enough to make it worthwhile. So we ALL pay extra regardless of payment method!
Some companies were recently itemising 2.5% of the bill cost on a till receipt to their "card processing company", (which I expect was just some tax dodge loop hole), but in those cases the charge was being itemised for you to show you the "cost".
The argument about high / cost low cost areas has no bearing on this. They are markets set by OFCOM and designed to increase competition and stop BT from monopolising the market, and give other companies a chance to install equipment and get a return on that investment. The low cost areas are the ones that were semi-recently deregulated to allow BT to compete again in the most hotly contested exchanges. Basically it costs PN more to buy your broadband, so they need to charge you more (well actually, BT charged the same for high cost areas, it is actually the low cost areas that have reduced in cost, allowing Plusnet to pass that saving on to the end customer).
It seems that TalkTalk insist on direct debit... and BT have charged a £1.50 non-direct debit fee for a long time.
You might not like it, but you do have a choice. You can use a payment method that doesn't cost lots in fees (i.e Direct Debit), or you can pay the £1.50, or you can leave Plusnet and find a supplier who doesn't charge this fee... (but that could get increasingly difficult, unless you go to a supplier who already charge a premium to cover this!)
Mike
ps  sorry, I left my computer for lunch and when I cam back found this still un-posted on my screen! DOH! Not going to edit it though, so I post it as is, although several posts have now beaten me to it and I am seemingly just repeating what they've already said!
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

because  its a plus net con charging people who use a d card, and i wont be dictated to on how i pay

But they are not telling you how to pay, you still have the choice except you will pay more by option to continue to pay the way you do.
I Guess that few young people would have a problem with this......why is it that the older some people get the more resistant they are to change ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
thisoldman
Grafter

gleneagles.      i simply objected to the fee. I thought it was excessive and so did my bank.
If no one ever challenged a fee we would simply be at the mercy of our supplier.
What is wrong with challenging a fee?
thisoldman
Grafter

last post on this topic.

I have contacted 3 major high street banks and asked them is a processing fee of 1.50£ excessive on a debit card payment of 11.99£
Every one of them said yes  you are being ripped off, the fee should be less than 20p
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I Guess it's a matter of opinion what is an unfair fee. We booked a holiday with a well known travel company and they charged 4% extra if you paid by credit card. (nothing extra for a debit card) by using a credit card I would be covered if the firm went bust or I could save £4 in every hundred and take a gamble on the loss of all my money.
To my knowledge all travel companies are similar, yes you can complain but then they will not take your booking !
PlusNet must have decided at board level to introduce this fee and taken the gamble they may lose a few customers but once they made the decision I cannot see they can go back on it otherwise they would be admitting to a poor management decision.
I Have no wish to wind you up but plusnet have sent me an e-mail to say the VAT increase in January will not affect me & I guess a similar e-mail has been sent to a number of other users so in this case Plusnet are taking a hit with this increase,  in my humble opinion they do not seem to be a company that takes every opportunity to increase there price at every opportunity.
Now if you had complained about the increase in Gas & Electricity prices that would be another matter.........
We are born into history and history is born into us.