Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed switch to PlusNet and fed up....

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Failed switch to PlusNet and fed up....

@Chippy - I've updated my initial post.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Quote from: MattyC
The order was placed correctly by Plusnet, however our request to port the telephone number over to us was not accepted.
This then lead to Sky ceasing the line.

Quote from: Townman
However if due to Sky being advised that you are leaving, they implemented a cease then when the service came to an end, you no longer owned the number.  If it was a Sky number they are likely to keep the number.  If it was a BT number, then it would be released back to BT.  If the latter is the case, with the right contacts, it might be possible to have the "released" number "recovered" - it will need special manual intervention.

Matty,
Given that this is a PN supplier / loosing provider failure, given that BTOR might be the owners of the old number, is there any avenue open through which PN's supplier might restore ChippyDSL back to the position he should have been in if the failures within their systems had not occurred?  Such exceptional action might enable retention of the number as requested / expected.
Both Ofcom and EU regulations require that providers (in this case Sky) facilitate number migration without hindrance.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's a process for this, yeah. We should be able to retain the number once it's out of the "quarantine" middle ground which shows after it's been ceased. My priority is getting a working connection first.
@Chippy - Ticket:100511149 is with me now so I'll be having a look at the issue on the 11th.
ChippyDSL
Dabbler

Thanks again Matty.
I am not interested in the old number, the only confusing thing is my current DSL status.
I do have the green BB Link/sync which are the identical Up and Down speed that I had with Sky. No internet access using my plusnet credentials (Getting Access Denied).
I guess that if the line gets restored on Wednesday, I will still have the Broadband issue.
Could it be possible that the BB order was provisioned on my old number/line?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: ChippyDSL
Could it be possible that the BB order was provisioned on my old number/line?

No. The broadband provision really was fine.
There's is a disconnection in the network somewhere along the line with your phone. I suspect a shoddy provision when your phone line was restarted, though I can only really guess the root cause at the moment.
ChippyDSL
Dabbler

Ok Guys and Matty
Although it was booked for Wednesday, an openreach guy has called me a couple of times this last hour or so, and has been round to the house.
Although I am in work, all appears to be sorted.
He said that he had checked and correctly configured some thing at the exchange, and also changed over the cabling from cab to exchange as it was still on the incorrect E-Side? after the new line was provisioned last week. I may have misheard this as I am in a busy office.
However, the line is live, and the router has a nice green internet light and is working fine for the first time.

Matty - If you want to check anything your end, please do. Latency is key for me as I am a keen online gamer.
I have a few GB of games pending on the Xbox that will download when I get home which will be a nice test, and will be configuring the router a bit tonight. (Setting up some internal static IPs,  port forwarding and chuck the xbox in the DMZ).
The only other thing I need and I have not opted to do yet is the Static IP (I believe is a one off £5). Any horror stories about this? Risk of disconnection etc??  Embarrassed
Also, last question billing? I have been paying since the switch on date (18th Feb, but only today it is all active 9th March) - how I get a credit on the account etc..

Sorry for having a rant earlier, it was a frustrating process to be honest. But if you did push any buttons earlier Matty, thank you very much.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well I'd love to say that I did something other than explain what happened, but on this occasion you have Openreach to thank for coming out in less than 24 working hours and fixing it.
I'd rather not change your SNR until we've seen a bit of broadband stability, but it's an option for future. I recommend leaving your line as it is for now. I'm a little surprised you went for ADSL based on your requirements. If you ever want to upgrade to fibre, feel free to PM me so that I can deal with the provision and ensure it all goes smoothly.
The only other thing I need and I have not opted to do yet is the Static IP (I believe is a one off £5). Any horror stories about this? Risk of disconnection etc??  Embarrassed

Never heard anything negative regarding this, though I'd be intrigued to hear if the community have ever said there are problems.
Also, last question billing? I have been paying since the switch on date (18th Feb, but only today it is all active 9th March) - how I get a credit on the account etc..

This is a little more account sensitive, so I'll try and call you this afternoon.
Matty
ChippyDSL
Dabbler

I did waver a bit about ADSL and fibre but the location of the exchange gets me a decent 8m down and 1 up which is ample.
Gaming for me is more about latency, and as I understand, it does not differ much between the two?
Game downloads on the xbox are fine, all in the background and happen overnight mainly. A good thing about launch games is buying in advance, they download in the background before launch day and are available to play at midnight.
I'll probably take the fibre plunge a the end of my contract when netflix 4k takes off and I will need the extra bandwidth.

I'll use a dynamic DNS service for the mean time, whilst things settle down.
Hopefully this will be the start of a wonderful relationship! Smiley
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for speaking with me and sorting that  Smiley
I'll leave things as they are for now, but I'm in the process of updating the support ticket.
I recommend downloading Dying Light if you haven't already...I spent the most of yesterday surprisingly engrossed in the storyline (though I get the impression that you're more into online multiplayer).
Matty
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@AndyH, I have seen too many posts on this forum that would seem to suggest otherwise - ie. down to some stupid flaw in the ordering system or availability of engineers on the originally promised date. I don't know all the reasons, and frankly it doesn't matter, Openreach have cancelled orders for one reason or another and Plusnet is not the only ISP that is given a bad name as a result.
@ChippyDSL
You are right about your contract with Plusnet means they should complain to OR, they possibly will, but the trouble is little seems to be done to resolve these issues. You can't complain to OR as they are Plusnet's supplier, but your are entitled to complain to OFCOM and should do so. This monopoly situation with OR needs to be changed because they do not get it right first time in far too many situations, whether it's change of supplier, new provide (especially on Fibre) or fault repair for example.
ChippyDSL
Dabbler

Hi
I just want to say the service I received since this thread has been great.
Faith is restored.
All has been fine for the last two weeks, static IP has been faultless, and my priorities of xbox live gaming is fine.
This new little router you now provide (2704N) appears to be holding up well.
Configured the static IP's I need, and the port forwarding things I need and all is holding up. - expert mode  Wink
The only reboots it has seen was a power cut, and me powering it off to move, and a reboot when I paid for the static IP.

Great service.
My only concern is the upload speed appears poor, but manageable. Varies between 300-600k 😕
Anotherone
Champion

What's your Upstream sync speed ChippyDSL?
ChippyDSL
Dabbler

Poor  Sad
Anotherone
Champion

That looks like the Upstream hasn't been uncapped. One of the CRT members can look at this tomorrow I expect and get it sorted.
dnpark38
Rising Star

Anotherone
Is mine a different problem?
Thanks
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137891.0.html
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png