cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New subscriber woes

Origami
Hooked

New subscriber woes

So PN, you didn't really get off to a great start. Let's hope things improve.

1. Setting-up the contract

I select 14th on the order form (I'm away from home 10th t0 14th).

You send me a message, "we've selected the 10th because it's better".

I call PN, better for whom? Please make it 14th, but PN say oh no no no it's been set at the 10th.

On 9th I plug-in the white router

On 10th a message saying the switch-over is started

Later on 10th the landline is switched

On 11th the broadband switch is starting, hang on PN what's this????

Later on 11th broadband is connected.

2. The router

Get home on 14th and find the router is a pile of junk and switch to a spare router I happen to have.

Dear PN, there was a saying, "the customer comes first". I guess that's not the case these days.

19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: New subscriber woes

@Origami Can't really comment on point 1, but why is the Hub a 'pile of junk'?

John
Origami
Hooked

@jab1  Well here goes ....

Cannot manually set WiFi channel numbers, the automated thing selects poorly

Cannot select high numbers on 5GHz WiFi

Cannot name the two WiFi bands separately

Cannot work with my own DNS server

Cannot work with my own DHCP server

The logging doesn't provide anything like enough information

Too many settings either not accessible at all or restricted by the user interface

jab1
Legend

Taking your points in order:

(1) Are you sure you can't manually set them? As I never had a any PN Hubs, I can't confirm /deny this, but I would be surprised.

(2) As above - having used one, no comment.

(3) Why should you need to?

(4) & (5) In what way? - although I doubt many ISP supplied routers are capable of this

(6) From what I have seen, the Hub2 provides extensive logging - what exactly is missing?

(7) Which settings?

@Dan_the_Van Any comments?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Assuming were talking about a Hub 2 here

Cannot manually set WiFi channel numbers, the automated thing selects poorly

Pretty sure you can , dont have my Hub 2 connected at the moment to check

Cannot select high numbers on 5GHz WiFi

That's correct. Since 5ghz range is limited , its not normally a problem withadjacent networks

Cannot name the two WiFi bands separately

That is correct I'm afraid, but isnt usually a problem

Cannot work with my own DNS server

Yes you can, you can change the DNS servers that the Hub supplies to DHCP clients

Cannot work with my own DHCP server

Yes you can, you can disable the HUb 2's DHCP server and use your own. You need to make sure that your server gives the correct default gateway address ( the Hub 2's )

The logging doesn't provide anything like enough information

In what respect ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks @MisterW 👍

John
Origami
Hooked

@jab1  The channel selection offers 3 suggestions but you cannot overtype in the channel number box, you can only take one of the suggestions.

Two channel names because of temperamental things that seem to always want to select the wrong band, with different names I can configure them to the 5GHz band.

My prior ISP router (ZyXel) does many things that the hub2 doesn't, even my old Netgear WNDR3700v4 does more.

Logging - boot process and intrusion detection are skimpy and I didn't see (if it is there, then my error) how-to forward syslog to another computer. Unix allows rsyslog to be setup.

jab1
Legend

OK. I'll leave this to @MisterW though - he has much more experience of the kit.

Just one final thought though - you DON'T HAVE TO USE THE SUPPLIED equipment.

John
Origami
Hooked

@MisterW I need the 5GHz to go high because of other signals are quite strong and as most people leave them on default then they are on maximum width. As I sit in my upstairs study I can see 8 stacked on 36-48 and because of the construction of my property some of them are stronger than my own signal.

DNS/DHCP there's something odd happening and I haven't time to bung a probe on the LAN. The problems have gone away on my own router.

The majority of my devices are Unix.

Anyway, I do appreciate your comments. If I ever get the time I guess I could put it back but as it's stable now I'll let things be as all this turning things on and off has probably upset the DLM too. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The channel selection offers 3 suggestions but you cannot overtype in the channel number box, you can only take one of the suggestions.

I'd have to go and check that, unless anyone else has a Hub 2 running that they could check ?

Two channel names because of temperamental things that seem to always want to select the wrong band, with different names I can configure them to the 5GHz band.

We do see issues with some devices that are 2.4ghz only. The trick is to temporarily disable the 5ghz, connect the device and then reenable the 5ghz. That usually sorts it out.

My prior ISP router (ZyXel) does many things that the hub2 doesn't, even my old Netgear WNDR3700v4 does more.

Assuming neither of those is 'locked', then there's nothing preventing you using either of those. PN are happy for you to use your own router. I just recommend keeping the Hub 2 as a spare.

What model is the Zyxel ? a VMG 3925-B10C by any chance ?

The WNDR3400 is a router only IIRC. The Hub 2 can be switched to bridge mode to act as a modem if required.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Origami
Hooked

@MisterW  Yes, you are quite right about the Netgear one. I used to stack it behind the Vodafone THG3000 and did all the tinkering on the Netgear side. The Netgear also has openWRT on it.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I've never used an ISP supplied router (my Hub2 is still sealed in its shrink-wrapped package), but what do you expect for free from a budget ISP contract?

Presumably the Hub2 serves its basic purpose of getting those who choose it connected to the Internet with a limited amount of bells and whistles thrown in, e.g. WiFi.  There was a time when ISPs didn't supply routers and you had to buy your own, so my expectations wouldn't be too high for a freebie which is why I've always bought my own.

Edit:  typo

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I used to stack it behind the Vodafone THG3000 and did all the tinkering on the Netgear side.

@Origami in that case , just switch the Hub 2 to bridging mode. Connect the WNDR3400 WAN to a LAN port on the HUb 2 and configure the WNDR3400 WAN for PPPoE with your PLusnet credentials.

Origami
Hooked

@MisterW  As I think I posted earlier, I have a modem-router plugged in and I'll let things alone for a while now.

I can see 54 down / 14 up which is about right for the distance to the green box. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@MisterW wrote:

The channel selection offers 3 suggestions but you cannot overtype in the channel number box, you can only take one of the suggestions.

I'd have to go and check that, unless anyone else has a Hub 2 running that they could check ?

On the Hub 2 you only have the choice on the 2.4GHz band of channels 1, 6 and 11. On the 5Ghz band it's only 36, 40, 44 and 48.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'