Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product refresh - charge for excess usage

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Product refresh - charge for excess usage

I'm a little surprised there has been no Plusnet response here to 'defend' their charging structure (unless I missed a post).
One thing that seems to have been missed is the fact that Plusnet don't only have to provide the data volume but also need to ensure adequate capacity for their customers. Providing the capacity is, as far as I understand, a capital investment which needs planning ahead so requires some idea of likely customer useage.  I presume that part of the charge for 'excessive useage' goes towards the necessary investment in capacity if customers use more on average than planned.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
James
Grafter

I read this thread as being one for customer participation and not one for us to comment on, just to be aware of it (which I was and assume digital care are also).
w23
Pro

Thanks James, understood, but I'd still like to hear any official thoughts on this.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
James
Grafter

I should point out that this is based more on my personal opinion rather than being matter of fact. So not really an official stance - sorry!
The £5 chunks will be built into the overall costing of the product.  We will know that people won't always use all of either their normal allowance, or the additional chunks for exceeding usage.  However, it will be part of how we keep costs low.  We do of course allow a cost limit to be set.
I am not au fait with any potential changes which may result in the product refresh, but I would not expect additional charging to be something that may change.  I could have course be 100% wrong in that.
But you do need to consider that the £5 chunks will be a crucial part of how the product "costs in" when designed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd be far happier if I knew that those who are responsible for designing the products for the product refresh were aware of this topic. I think  "Plusnet does NOT listen to it's customers" would be a good topic for a title for a topic (here, ISPreview, tbb etc.) if this doesn't change come the product refresh.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Jameseh
The £5 chunks will be built into the overall costing of the product.  We will know that people won't always use all of either their normal allowance, or the additional chunks for exceeding usage.  However, it will be part of how we keep costs low.  We do of course allow a cost limit to be set.

So if on average people use half the additional allowance I think we should start referring to this as £5 per 2.5GB (average) used.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is an interesting thought re product costings.
Take my case - it looks as though I am going to hit the 10GB limit fairly often so get a £5 extra charge for 1 or 2GB
If I move to Extra I won't need to watch my usage so I will probably finish up using 20GB or more for the same amount I am being charged for 12GB on Value - that doesn't make fiscal sense for Plusnet
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think  "Plusnet does NOT listen to it's customers" would be a good topic for a title for a topic (here, ISPreview, tbb etc.) if this doesn't change come the product refresh.

Not quite Jelv, although I think you know it yourself! We *do* listen to customers and the decision makers are aware of this thread, however just because someone asks for something doesn't mean we can give it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Chris
We *do* listen to customers and the decision makers are aware of this thread, however just because someone asks for something doesn't mean we can give it.

Well when that someone becomes a couple hundred or more will PN listen? Might be to late by then.
dick:green quote fixed.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We *are* listening! We do take customer opinions into consideration when designing new products but we also have to take other things into consideration too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just offer a 40GB package with no unlimited downloads through the night, Should please a lot of people?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
dsw
Grafter

I don't think it would.
20GB less than Extra and no night time free usage? Sounds far from what people would want.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Steve
Just offer a 40GB package with no unlimited downloads through the night, Should please a lot of people?

Quote from: dsw
I don't think it would.
20GB less than Extra and no night time free usage? Sounds far from what people would want.

Which just goes to show that what pleases one person doesn't necessarily please another. Smiley
w23
Pro

But what we all want is larger allowances at lower prices and lower charges for additional allowances (all without slowdown due to congestion of course)!
Realistically though, any changes that reflect the general preference of customers would be a great plus for PlusNet.
Call me 'w23'
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have voted for option 4 and I certainly believe as others do that the default setting on a new account should be for no automatic top-up - i.e. you should have to make the deliberate choice to allow automatic top-up. That said I'm usually around 3GB and have never got anywhere near 10GB - mainly I presume since I don't watch much video.