Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable connection speeds

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 66

Re: Unacceptable connection speeds

As a point of interest..... when reporting to BT about the faulty / noisy line, would it not be an idea to explain that the wiring from the pole to your internal socket, looks very very old, and could possibly be the source of the noise, otherwise they may only consider that a visit to the box at the end of the road, and to view the connections at the pole, may be enough of a "technical inspection"....
Looking at the small size of the box, it looks about 25 - 30 years old,  (the one with the T for Telecom on it, looks as though it has been painted over a few times ! ! )  and definitely not the "modern" version that is fittted as an "end of line" termination box   .....
for ref.  you should only need two wires to make your phone work, they should be white with blue trace, twisted with a blue/white.  (twisted pair) and these should be connected to number 2 and 5  (the middle ones of each side of the connection, sometimes you have an orange/white pair, which used to power the bell, (bell wire) and this is usually removed from the connections, as it acts like a long wire aerial and picks up noise from any electrical equipment, and passes it onto the "proper" circuit.
In your case, I would suggest you do not "mess" with the installation, as it is BT`s responsiblity to get the wires into your house...... and you are not allowed to touch their installation up to and including the first (master) box......

have a look at this page....
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/install.html
scroll down the page after the main text, you will see pics
it will give you some idea what your "master socket" should look like .... (modern version)
leewilson78
Grafter

I tried their online test here: http://tinyurl.com/5qhbgr <<< It says it is not a BT number. I then called their faults line: 0800 800 151 <<< after entering my number, it said it wasn't a BT line and hung up.
Please help, lost for ideas.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Um, lee... you have your phone with us. I'll get you a fault reported if you can tell me what sort of noise it is, and when it happens - outbound or inbound calls, does it still happen with a single handset in the master socket and nothing else plugged in?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Matt - he hasn't got a modern master socket - that is probably part of his problem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
leewilson78
Grafter

I thought that I had to have a BT line.
As mentioned, I don't have a master socket, the sockets in general are very old looking, if you check the line you will notice how bad it is, I am happy to call you from that line. My wife and I tend to use are mobiles because it is that bad.
I am glad that the calls are in one place though, as mentioned, thought that a BT line was a requirement.
shutter
Community Veteran

Lee, Your line is supplied by BT...... but the service (phone calls & broadband) are provided by Plusnet......
similar to gas..... the pipeline is owned and operated by Transco, but you pay another company for the gas supply.....
leewilson78
Grafter

@shutter: that's what I thought, I did think that the number would be recognised by BT.
So I have a BT line that is provided by Plusnet, that's fine, can I please have my line looked at, I cannot get BT to recognise me, who can fix it?
shutter
Community Veteran

I think you misunderstand...... the physical wiring "the line" belongs to BT.... your service, (phone & broadband) are provided by PlusNet.... If you have a fault with the "service".... that is PlusNet responsiblity to get the "line" fixed for you..... so the the "service" they (PlusNet) provide to you is "up to standard".....
Train operating companies. run on "network rail" ..... if the train operator cannot provide an acceptable service, because the line is not good enough, they must pressurise "network rail" to improve the line so that they can provide the service ....
hope that helps...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: leewilson78
As mentioned, I don't have a master socket, the sockets in general are very old looking, if you check the line you will notice how bad it is, I am happy to call you from that line. My wife and I tend to use are mobiles because it is that bad.

It gets better and better! If the line is that bad there's going to be no argument about it needing to be fixed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Lee
I've passed a ticket over to you on your account, if you can confirm the questions on there I'll get this pushed through.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
leewilson78
Grafter

Ticket received, thanks.
leewilson78
Grafter

I have replied to the ticket, as mentioned, I am happy for further tests to be carried out, you mentioned disconnecting all equipment, should I do this now and will you let me know when I can reconnect?
Thanks
Chris
Legend

I'll get one of our faults guys to do the testing and let you know when you can plug your kit back in.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

OK, we've done our testing now and I believe an engineer is booked to check the phone line tomorrow morning? Don't mention broadband to him as that's not what he's there to fix.
Hope the appointment goes well and I'll take a look tomorrow.
leewilson78
Grafter

Thanks Chris, I'll post back after tomorrow.