cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shocked at the level of poor service i am receiving (phone and broadband)

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: shocked at the level of poor service i am receiving (phone and broadband)

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for your time on the phone, glad the speeds have improved. Just checked and there's an order to move to 21CN already placed, that's due to complete on the 3rd December Smiley
I've added a comment to your ticket regarding the engineer's findings as well.
RyanGould
Grafter

Thanks for your help in sorting out the problems we have had. we are now receiving the speeds we expected and are happy with the service we are receiving.
thank you for swapping us onto the 21CN network, im looking forward to getting even faster speeds and being able to upload / download work alot faster than we have been.
RyanGould
Grafter

I have had a message from PN today informing me we have now been switched to the 21CN network.
however when i have returned from work today i have found that we are still receiving 0.44 up and 4.7 down, can someone look into this and tell me whats going on please ?
RyanGould
Grafter

well, PN has struck again it would seem.
our broadband has worked fine for the past few days and i was looking forward to switching onto the 21CN ADSL2 network. i received a text message confirming that we had now been changed over this morning, i have come home and found we are still on the same ADSL network as before which i thought was strange.
So i rang PN to see what had gone on and it turns out that the network swap had failed, BT said there wasnt enough room in the exchange. PN then thought it was amusing not to inform me but instead to text me and tell me that the swap had been completed in the hope that i wouldnt notice!!!
our service from PN started off very poor and we were going to leave and go to another ISP. PN then fixed a few things and Matt was very helpful in resolving the problems for which i am grateful. after this we were willing to stay with plus net if they swapped us 21CN and now this has turned in to a farce!!!!
FFS!

pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could still be on the 21cn network, that does not mean that you are on ADSL2, that is yet another move
post your router stats and see what that indicates
RyanGould
Grafter

I am fed up of posting my router stats, info and connection speeds.
Dont tell me that PN are going to switch us onto the network and send me a text telling me you have switched us onto 21CN but simply just not bother to switch and hope we wont notice.
its an insult to my intelligence and the final straw for us and plusnet.
the funny thing is the guy i spoke to at plusnet admitted (when i rang) that the change over had failed due to the BT engineer not being able to find room in the exchange. if this was the case then why were we not informed and when did PN send a text message informing me that our service had now been correctly switched to 21CN?
the same gentlemen rang me back and withdrew his comment in the previous conversation and informed me that "the process will take upto 72 hours to complete", this was yesterday evening.
this makes me think PN or BT have messed up the switch over or forgot about it (but still text me to let me know they completed my order that was not complete) so they will be sorting it monday as soon as they can get an engineer to the exchange (again)
if this is not complete by monday then we shall be finding another ISP.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: RyanGould
thank you for swapping us onto the 21CN network, im looking forward to getting even faster speeds and being able to upload / download work alot faster than we have been.

I would suggest that you are not going to see a significant improvement in download speed going to ADSL2+. For users syncing around the 3 to 5mbps on ADSL1 there is not much improvement in speed switching to ADSL2+ The only advantage is the upload speed and you may have to request the cap to be remove before you see this.
RyanGould
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
I would suggest that you are not going to see a significant improvement in download speed going to ADSL2+. For users syncing around the 3 to 5mbps on ADSL1 there is not much improvement in speed switching to ADSL2+ The only advantage is the upload speed and you may have to request the cap to be remove before you see this.

i am expecting upto 20 up and 1 down, like i was promised by PN. im not receiving anywhere near these speeds because we havent been switched over yet. (see my previous posts for details)
there will be decent speeds when this has been sorted out, if there isnt then i shall be using a different isp. i expect the speeds to be around 75% of the "upto" speeds quoted, i dont think this is unreasonable. this would be around a 15Mbs down and 0.75Mbs up which is easily achievable.
PN; we would like to have fibre as soon as possible, how can we go about placing an order for this service ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

i am expecting upto 20 up and 1 down, like i was promised by PN

its that word upto, nothing wrong with that, but you aint in any way going to get that, not with any BT wholesaler and as you have been told above, with your current line speed you will be lucky if you get 8
and the reson I asked for router stats was to see if you have been switched over to 21cn, that has othing to do with your speed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

With your attenuation the best speed you could hope to get is about 7,900kbps.
Changing to ADSL2 gives you up to 20mbps not 20mbps
The fact that your noise margin in the only router stats you have posted is 14.5dB it is likely that there is a problem somewhere which I don't see any record of being fixed.
Being moved to 21CN in which I believe your previous settings are carried over won't give much if any speed increase. I am not sure what happens when you move to ADSL2. I know when I moved to 21CN/ADSL1 the line settings at the exchange started from the 20CN values.
A retrain or move to ADSL2 with a 10 day training period will potentially give a significant speed increase but if the problem which caused the default noise margin to rise from 6dB to 15dB is still there you won't see any significant speed increase in the end.
RyanGould
Grafter

its good to see that you can be bothered to read posts properly.
old jim;
what do you mean you cant see that the fault wasnt fixed with the line?
my phone line was severely damaged and a BT engineer came out last week to fix it, it was sorted and i know it was sorted because i couldnt have a phone call with the static on the line and after the line is now silent.
why are you telling me that the speeds i can receive are different yet again?
im losing my patience now and fast, sort it out. we are fed up of being messed around 
RyanGould
Grafter

i suggest reading posts properly jim and itsme;
"there will be decent speeds when this has been sorted out, if there isnt then i shall be using a different isp. i expect the speeds to be around 75% of the "upto" speeds quoted, i dont think this is unreasonable. this would be around a 15Mbs down and 0.75Mbs up which is easily achievable."
ive had enough of getting told different tales so sort it, and yes i expect these speeds because that's what we received from our previous provider.
Force9Original
Grafter

Whats it say on the bt wholesale page about speeds & fttc on your line ?
https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch...
cheers f9o
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The stats I looked at were after the engineer visit - so it may be that the problem was fixed but the default noise margin hadn't been changed
The speeds I gave are from putting your line attenuation 43dB into the speed checker http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php - the higher the attenuation the longer the line and the lower the maximum possible speed
You were told by Plusnet that you would be moved to 21CN/ADSL2+ and unless you post the stats from your router - specifically this one "DSL Type:  G.992.1 annex A"  we and you don't know if it has happened
Also posting the full stats will allow us to see if the default noise margin has been reset or not.
Expecting 75% of the speed when they are quoted as up to 20mbps is plainly unrealistic when the speed is governed by your line length from the exchange
Regarding the fault I was referring to this
Quote from: Matt
Morning Ryan,
I've checked the line this morning following the second SNR reset last night, and while it's showing as having taken effect this time it hasn't improved the speed any. As a result I've raised a broadband fault so that I can contact the relevant team in BT directly, which I'll be doing shortly. That should get the profile reset from their side, which should sort things out.
I'll be in touch around 5 as discussed, hopefully with good news regarding the problem (and therefore the upgrade to 21CN as well, which will follow the improvement in speed Smiley )
CX
Grafter

Have you tested the speeds with your old Virgin router?
At one point Virgin Media were supplying the Netgear DG834G v4, which is a very good router. Personally, I found that the Thomson TG585v7 syncs significantly (i.e. outside of normal variance due to noise) lower than the DG834Gv4. I'm on a long line, so my experiences could very well be different to yours.