cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my old Technicolor router be used as secondary router with Plusnet Hub 2?

SB6

Can my old Technicolor router be used as secondary router with Plusnet Hub 2?

I have recently upgraded to a Hub 2 router.  My Solar PV inverter will now not connect  for monitoring as it has an older Wifi chip which operates based on the 802.11b/g/n standards, 2.4 GHz.  Can I set up my previously used Technicolor 582n as a secondary router to the Hub 2 to use for this device (and perhaps as a bonus, provide some extra ethernet ports)?

The inverter supplier says that the Wifi chip 'will not support newer features such as MESH networks, WiFi 6 standard, boosters, extenders, power line adapters, or other advanced functionalities'.  The inverter has been working for many years with the Technicolor.

Help would be much appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Re: Can my old Technicolor router be used as secondary router with Plusnet Hub 2?

The Hub 2 still supports the 2.4ghz band, as well as the 5ghz one. However, it uses the same SSID ( wifi network name ) for both bands which sometimes confuses devices that are 2.4ghz only.

One trick that often works, is to temporarily disable the 5ghz wifi on the Hub 2, connect the device and then reenable the 5ghz.

Another solution , if you dont need 5ghz is to disable it permanently.

If that doesnt work then there is a Wireless Mode setting , defaults to 1 , try changing it to 2 or 3 as this disables some of the wifi enhancements, making it more compatible with older devices ( but reducing performance )

It IS possible to use the TG582 as a wireless access point if you really want to. You need to give it an IP address in the same subnet as the Hub 2 but out of the DHCP range , say 192.168.1.1 ( Assuming the Hub 2 is on the defaults ), then disable DHCP (on the TG582) and connect a cable from one of the TG582 LAN ports to a LAN port on the HUb 2.

You probably also need to change wifi channel on the TG582 to avoid conflict with the Hub 2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.