This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Fibre nation FTTC Vs Open reach FTTP

@Manny7860  I don't think there is any such thing as Fibre Nation FTTC so I reckon Openreach FTTP would be the one to go for.

Fibre Nation was joint venture with TalkTalk to install FTTP in some areas, York was one and possibly Harrogate and other Northern towns several years ago but Fibre Nation was sold to CityFibre in 2020.. See the following link

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/cityfibre-working-to-replace-existing-uk-fibrenation-f... 

What information have you found about Fibre Nation FTTC.🤔

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi

Sorry I was suppose to put down city fibre my bad.
Excellent!
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@Manny7860 

I assume you also meant CityFibre FTTP

There's no real difference apart from OR may have a wider choice of ISP's. If you're currently with PlusNet and want to stay then it's OR.

Both install an Optical Network Terminator (ONT) on an inside wall. The router is connected via an ethernet cable so doesn't have to be in the same location if you're happy running cable.

Brian

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

It has been suggested to me over many threads on different forums, that CityFibre and Openreach may design their networks differently?

I have a particular concern with maintaining a "landline/VOIP" phone service during a power cut. I have confidence that the node buildings that both terminate their services in would be well backed up in terms of UPS batteries and/or generators and I intend to provide a substantial UPS to power my router, (and ONT), at home.

The problem was the section outside, between home and node building.

With Openreach FTTP, I have been advised that from the ONT in the home to the node buildings, the outside network is entirely passive - ie no power required, so mains failure is not an issue.

With CityFibre, I was told that they might have some active, (ie needs power), equipment outside. I did try to ask CityFibre about this, but they wouldn't give me a straight answer.

(I believe that Openreach FTTC cabinets have batteries that are only designed to support the cab for about 30 minutes if the mains supply fails?).