Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP- Hardware options

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

VOIP- Hardware options

I seem to be one of the few who has signed up with Voipfone. the router I am hoping to use with my connection has built in voip capability. there are instructions online with the provider on how to set it up, or when live, I can ask them to remotely set it. I need a RJ11 to BT adaptor with ring capacitor apparently. Do you need that for dect phones? This is the cheapest option.

The provider also sells the Grandstream HT-801 VoIP adapter which I can see a lot of people having connection issues on here. I can buy a configured one from them, but the £10 postage is pretty steep to be honest! There are quite a few on the bay of E, are they easy to reset and re- configure?

Whichever option I go for, i'm not going to be able to test until the line goes live anyway and the number port is the day after the service. I suppose, if the line has gone live early enough and the router stubbornly won't connect to the service, I still have the ability for a next day delivery of the adaptor.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: VOIP- Hardware options

a RJ11 to BT adaptor with ring capacitor apparently. 

ykou don't normally need a ring capacitor with a Dect base, but you'll still need a BT to rj11 so might as well get one with capacitor

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catshill1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I’ve been with Voipfone for years. Excellent company and helpful if you have an issues. I use the Gigaset 500 base station and phones.

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

the router I am hoping to use with my connection has built in voip capability.

Sounds interesting. Which model/make, where from, how much? (Not a BT one, I presume.)

Have you got it working just for broadband (presumably with PlusNet)? (If so, were PlusNet helpful with the settings or went into "not our router - we'll give no help" mode, or did you know all the settings and managied without their help?)

Will be interested to hear how you get on with the VoIP, too.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I am intending to use a Technicolor DGA4134NLK router which I have liberated from the "gash" IT equipment pile at work. I've had a Technicolor router before on ADSL and it was a good bit of kit. I have changed all the settings for the connection and I have run through the voip settings, as provided by Voipfone)  in anticipation. I can't test it all out as I am currently on Sky and this router doesn't support their protocols. Only going down the 3rd party router route as I want to split the wifi channels.

Fingers crossed for as full house come activation 

Mark

catshill1
Rising Star

You don’t need a special router to use voip.

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

You don’t need a special router to use voip.

The routers being discussed in this thread have "built-in VoIP" - in other words, include the ATA; you can plug an existing analogue 'phone (not sure if pulse dialling though!) directly into them, without need for the intervening box (such as the popular Grandsomething xx01) and its separate power supply.

The "router" BT supply to those going entirely with them, for both broadband and VoIP, is of this type (you just plug your existing 'phone into it). The one PlusNet supply is not - it has a 'phone socket (and I think the associated hardware inside), but it is disabled (which seems very dog-in-the-manger!). So to use VoIP with a PlusNet router (and an existing analogue 'phone), you need an extra box - not that small; the Grandview is about four inches square and over an inch thick.

You can use VoIP without the ATA with such a router - if you buy a dedicated VoIP 'phone, or use the zsomething software (make and receive calls via the computer), or have an app. on a smartphone that lets you use VoIP via the wifi.

catshill1
Rising Star

need an extra box - not that small

The Gigaset adapter I use is around the size of a small paperback book.

HPsauce
Seasoned Pro

Mine (probably the same N300ip model) is 5" by 4" and about 1.5" deep.

It's clipped to the wall above my Hub2 beside the master socket and is mostly hidden by a curtain.

Overall a neater setup than we had before with a DECT answering machine base station. The phone handsets just sit on small chargers wherever we want them.