Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idiot's guide to bridge mode

FIXED
Junkman
Rising Star

Idiot's guide to bridge mode

Good afternoon,

Is there an idiot's guide anywhere to using the Hub 2 in bridge mode i.e. VDSL to Hub 2 to existing router?  Is it as simple as connecting the Hub 2 to the phone line then LAN 1 on the Hub 2 to the WAN port on the existing router or are there any other hoops to jump through?  (e.g. do some sign-in credentials have to be entered?)

Thanks,

Stuart

126 REPLIES 126
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

Re: Idiot's guide to bridge mode

You will need to configure the WAN connection, on your existing router, as PPPoE with your Plusnet credentials. 

Username is <your account name>@plusdsl.net , password is the one you use to login to the member centre 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW thank you.  I understand the Plusnet credentials bit but how do I configure my WAN as PPPoE?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman what make/model is your existing router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW it's a Billion 8800AXL R2.

Junkman
Rising Star

This page?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman if you are already using on a PLusnet connection then you have a PPPoE connection on the DSL port.

You need similar settings but selecting the Ethernet/EWAN port, the exception being that you need to disable VLAN ID .

See page 97 onwards of the manual

This page?

The manual I'm looking at has an additional drop down at the top to allow selection of the WAN port

edit: look at page 110

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me and I'm sorry to be dull, but which manual?  I am indeed already on Plusnet and they are sending me a Hub 2 which I want to use in bridge mode.  If I select the DSL page in my router interface then this is what I get.  I can't see an Ethernet/Ewan port or anywhere to toggle VLAN

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman I'm looking at the manual downloaded from here http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/413/123/bipac-8800axl-r2-fu...

Are you sure yours is an 8800AXL ? If it is , then you don't need the Hub 2 at all.

Junkman
Rising Star

Thanks very much for guiding me to that.

So I think I need to add a WAN port on the WAN Service page using my Plusnet credentials and VLAN set to -1?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Correct

Except as I said above, you don't actually need the Hub 2 at all. The 8800 DSL port can support VDSL2.

Junkman
Rising Star

So I don't need to change the VPI/VCI or Encapsulation mode or anything else?

I know I don't need the Hub 2, but I have a dropped sync speed problem (after 26 months of total stability) and Plusnet have more or less insisted that the only thing left to try is a more modern device than my 5 year old Billion.  Just trying to find the easiest way to do that rather than configuring the Hub 2 for my LAN static IPs, virtual servers and open ports (all of which I'll need to figure out how to do when I'm fairly familiar with the Billion interface).     

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, lets step back a bit!.

I'd assumed you were upgrading from ADSL to Fibre, I'm guessing that was wrong.

What Plusnet product are you actually on ? and are you changing or is it just that PN think your router is causing the problem ?

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW  No I'm on FTTC.  A fair distance from the cabinet but my target SNR reset to 3 in early 2022, which gave me stable sync speeds 39-40 and a download speed c 38 on a quiet (rural) connection for more than 2 years. Then after 3 dropouts in 24hrs April 12/13, DLM reset the target SNR to 6 and my sync speed dropped to 32, where it stubbornly remains.  I've jumped all the usual Plusnet hoops including changing my router (for another Billion - an 8800NL - that I have). Plusnet then closed the ticket said the fault had been resolved. 

So I called them and sending me this Hub 2 is what they came up with 'cos my Router is 5 years old.

I'm happy to try anything if it makes sense, cos a 20% drop in speed matters when you are down as these speed levels.  But if I'm wasting my time with this Hub 2 the it can go in the cupboard when it arrives.....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, I understand now. TBH I don't think the problem is your router BUT lets humour them!

Back to Plan A , add a WAN connection, port Ethernet , Type PPPoE as on page 110. Then set the Hub 2 in bridge mode, connect a LAN port (any of 1-3) to the 8800 EWAN port 5. You dont need to change any of the 8800 DSL port setttings, they should remain.

I'd be amazed if it makes any difference to your speed, it WILL make it difficult to see the DSL stats e.g sync speeds , since they are now in the Hub 2. The only way you can see them will be to connect a PC directly to the Hub 2 (which will ONLY be able to access the Hub 2 GUI i.e no internet ).

I suspect support said they will be able to run remote diagnostics with the Hub 2, they won't! (its in bridge mode)